[SOLVED] PC build 900$-1000$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 5, 2018
Hi,
I am looking for a desktop that fits with the following requirements:
i need it for Daily tasks and some autocad drawings also for normal 3ds max use.

Budget Range: 900-1000$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Daily tasks, surfing the internet, 3ds max, autocad drawings.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Nope.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: none.

Solution
Autocad is apparently very single threaded performance dependent. An overclockable i5 8600k might make better sense here. Powercolor is hit and miss, on graphics card quality, so I tend to avoid them.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Walmart)
Video...
How do you know it’s 80+? Aside from the title. As I said it looks shady, is only available on a shady looking site and is from a no name brand. Again if you buy that product from that site you want your bumps feeling.

Cheap caps won’t hold an 80+ rating especially with the new regs and ripple again really isn’t an issue unless you’re drawing lots of power and overclocking. I’m any case the PSU Barty was complaining about is just fine for this use.

many psu brand they are gold but could be worse. We rely on legit reviewers like jonnyguru and tomshardware to fully test everything. Efficiency/brown/gold/80+ is only a tiny part if you know what a good psu should behave under all kinds of tests.

bignastyid

Titan

Because the place that does the ratings has it listed.
https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=24&type=2

Again you are the one saying anything with an 80 plus rating is fine.

So why are there so many PSU's listed as 80 plus that use sub standard capacitors?

As far as the VS goes it is not a reliable PSU. Like the first versions of the CX series they tend to fail early and often. Now there are cases in some countries where these are unfortunately the best budget option. This is simply not the case here as there are better options available so the VS is not a good recommendation.

It’s rated in 2014 it wouldn’t pass now and the reason it’s only available in 1 shady retailer is probably because it’s not made anymore.

The VS is fine, look at a proper review of it.

@vapour

I don’t read anything news related on tomshardware and take it seriously now after that god awful RTX piece. That includes reviews.

I don't know about RTX review but psu reviews are legit, if you do not like them, check jonnyguru.

For the record I never called it a review.

On topic: so are PSU reviews good or bad you seem to be jumping around? Think it’s fair to say you should look at each unit because even if it has a stellar review and specs on even an in depth review it could still be refreshed with no one noticing.

bignastyid

Titan

They are an important part of the process, they are not perfect.

To bring up the notorious original CX series again. I bought 5 of them for budget builds within months of their release(before they started dropping dead in large quantities) based on reviews from trusted reviewers like jonnyguru and they looked like great budget units. Within the first year 4 out of 5 had failed(2 500w units and 2 600w units), the 5th unit(430w) failed after 1 year but for a few months it sat on the shelf as it was replaced as a precautionary measure, then failed when loaned out while a friend waited for his CX to be RMA'd. I'll also note none of these were ever even getting close to 100% usage. The XFX units that replaced them are still working to this day.

As another example. Cooler master did have some units(elite series iirc) where they sent in a unit made by one manufacture to reviewers that was decent but the units you could actually buy were made by another manufacture and were garbage. They had the same model number the only difference was 1 letter in the part number.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, but I would also expect that an OEM system will run with its initial parts and that original PSU.
Once you start changing/adding...all bets are off with that original PSU.

And as we frequently see with OEM systems...that PSU is decidedly substandard. No matter what is printed on the side.

bignastyid

Titan

No. The only platinum rated Corsair units are the AX(mix of gold and platinum), AXi(mix of platinum and titanium), HX(mix of gold and platinum) and HXi.

The VS(depending on the part number) are either not certified, 80 plus white or 80 plus bronze.