PC build compatibility

Arch22

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Hello,i am building my first pc and i need help with it.Are all the parts compatible with each other?Is this PSU good enough?And do I need aftermarket CPU cooler or the stock one is good enough?if not which one should I go for?i don't plan to oc for now.Thank you.

-CPU : Intel Core i7 4790K CPU (4,0 GHz up to 4.4 GHz)

-Graphic Card: GIGABYTE G1 GTX980 4GD

-Case: CM Storm Trooper

-HDD: WD Green™ 2 TB SATA 3 , 64 MB, 3,5"

-SSD: Intel® SSD 530 Series (120GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 20nm, MLC) 7mm

-MotherBoard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, LGA 1150

-Memory: Kingston 16 gigabytes KIT DDR3 1866MHz CL10 HyperX Fury Black Series

-PSU: Seasonic SS-620GM2 EVO, 620W, 80+ Bronze, Modular

Solution
everything should work together. im not going to throw out my opinions about what you "should get" like i know some will. to really answer the question, what you have, would be fine. without looking up the GPU, the PSU might need a little more power, but based on memory, i believe it should still be good enough. based on Gigabytes info, the GPU req 550w PSU. so, you make the choice. it wouldnt hurt going up a tad, but that is just my opinion.
if you dont plan on OC'ing, stock cooler would work just fine. it doesnt hurt going with a better cooling system, but it would be up to you. i personally like keeping things as cool as i can, so i got with aftermarket anyway.
the ram is the only thing i am not sure of. although it should work...

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
everything should work together. im not going to throw out my opinions about what you "should get" like i know some will. to really answer the question, what you have, would be fine. without looking up the GPU, the PSU might need a little more power, but based on memory, i believe it should still be good enough. based on Gigabytes info, the GPU req 550w PSU. so, you make the choice. it wouldnt hurt going up a tad, but that is just my opinion.
if you dont plan on OC'ing, stock cooler would work just fine. it doesnt hurt going with a better cooling system, but it would be up to you. i personally like keeping things as cool as i can, so i got with aftermarket anyway.
the ram is the only thing i am not sure of. although it should work, ram is usually, from what i have encountered, the issue that has any compatibility problems, but that was long ago, and isnt to much of a problem these days.

i myself have the same CPU and GPU and both compliment each other great. the MOBO that you chose is a very good ASUS board from everything i have heard.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
The motherboard is overly expensive. A THG recommended Asrock Z97 extreme4 or MSI Gaming 5 is all you really need. For SSD you want Crucial or Samsung. The money saved on the less expensive board, could be put towards a larger 256gb SSD. You want a 7200rpm drive for your HDD too. I would go with an MSI twin frozr card over Gigabyte. Case is a personal choice, more often than not. The one you chose is fine, just wouldn't be my personal choice. Stock cooler is fine, till you decide to overclock.

Arch22

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Thanks melonhead :) Ok i will consider going for 700w PSU then,but i should stick to Seasonic,Corsair?I dont know whick power supplies are most reliable. No i don't plan go for OC'ing.If going for aftermarket cooler which one will be good one?

logainofhades;Why is MSI better than Gigabyte?Yes I could go for Samsung SSD if its better :) What 7200rpm drive for HDD you suggest?

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
if you go with MSI, check their website for the differences in the boards. there isnt huge differences between boards (gaming 7,5,3)you can easily go with the gaming 5, but still have a great board in getting a gaming 3. biggest difference between them is sata slots, other rear ports, and the overclocking nobs, or other little bells and whistles. depending on what you need/prefer, with the gaming 3, you would save $25.00 more over the gaming 5 board.

logainofhades

Titan
While I have hold Gigabyte's motherboards in high regard, the quality of their graphics cards is not as good. MSI seems to be doing better on the quality front for graphics cards. Crucial and Samsung both are THG recommended. PSU you cannot go wrong with XFX, Seasonic, of an Evga B2 or G2 series. The G2 series comes with a 10yr warranty, and are very well made. A coolermaster hyper 212 evo is a good cooler for the money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

lol, that is a loaded question to logainofhades, that me and him went round and round on already (GPU). he will put his opinion in quality. performance wise, the G1 is the better board by stock numbers and just pure performance. the G1 can take more power, and overclock higher, but there is heat that would be concerned, and is where logains thoughts come in. obviously, heat is a killer with electronics. since the G1 can take more power, if you OC the card, heat could become an issue.
i have yet to find any evidence that this particular card has had catastrophic failure. could there be? of course. under load, i see it run 50 degrees playing COD AW with temps idling at about 34 at idle. This is also with stock fan speeds which is around 50% or so ( i dont recall off the top of my head because im not at home).

MSI is a good product none the less. their core speeds are just lower than the G1, but not a huge difference. so, if you wanted to save a few bucks, you could easily do it there. their cards have superior cooling, but are said to throttle, and are limited with OC due to the power limits, but if you arent OCing, then it wouldnt matter, nor do i think its necessary for the 970.

i will let someone else do the PSU suggestion. i know some will say seasonic, but im not an expert in PSU, and dont know where they get their suggestions from.

i have used a few corsair PSU with no issues. they have a 7 or 10 year warranty (dont remember which), but some have said their quality is not the best for PSU these days.

Arch22

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Thank you guys :) As I see GPU will be question of taste,I think Gigabyte would be fine to go for if i don't want to OC,and i prefer them more :) Thanks for PSU advice also. What about CPU cooler,which one should i get?i will go for Raijintek Ereboss, 140mm,if its good?

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
ive been using closed water cooling systems, and like them much more than air cooled heatsink types. i currently have the corsair H105 water cooling kit. with the same CPU at stock speeds, and the cooling fans running at 25%, the cpu temps idle at 28-34 degrees with no load. playing cod aw, or other game, it will go up to 60 degrees if i keep the cooling fan profile to 25%.

i dont have any experience with any other cooling systems first hand, so that is where i will leave my thoughts/opinions.