Question PC Build - No video on POST

Apr 30, 2023
Hello,
I've gone through the comprehensive checklist for this issue and "yes" I did fail at item 2 the CPU power - but still no success once that one was out of the way.
So here goes:

I have the following spec machine, bought as separate components:
Motherboard = Asus B550M-A WiFi II
CPU = Ryzen 5700x (so no graphics)
CPU Cooler = Cooler Master TX30
Memory = Kingston DDR4 - module - 32 GB - DIMM 288 pin - 3200 MHz / PC4 2
Power supply = be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000W
GPU = ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1630 4GB
Storage = Not even got there yet…

I assembled everything and it wouldn’t boot. There was no sound, so I added a motherboard speaker.
I read up on this issue online and stripped out the motherboard from the case and took it down to (bread)board-only.
Wouldn’t power-up without the CPU and cooler.
Added the CPU & Cooler - but no RAM.
On boot I got a long beep followed by two short beeps (as half-expected)
I added a RAM card to the #4 slot (DIMM B#2) and rebooted (no beeps). OK so far.
All the fans run correctly: CPU, Case, and when installed, the GPU fan.
I’ve systematically tried each of the video ports with my monitor (MoBo: VGA and HDMI & GPU: HDMI only)
I’ve checked the PSU for voltage and get 12v on the unused sockets as expected. (Had to boot the thing first, which was a surprise).
I’ve gone though the checklist - and yes Item 2 was missing (Thank You!)
I’ve added all the additional standoffs to the board that were packaged with the case.
I’m happy that the DIMMs and GPU have gone in correctly
CPU went in the correct way round and there are no bent pins.
I’ve gone though everything else on the checklist and still have no POST Screen.
I borrowed a GPU from a colleague and there is no improvement with that.
As “I have more money than sense" - I even bought another motherboard – still the same problem.

Operating on the basis that the only stupid question is the one you had to ask ‘cos you weren't listening the first time... I hope I've covered everything in your checklist and any thoughts or advice I get isn’t a fool's errand.
Thanks -in-Advance for any ideas ... - Simon -

Apr 30, 2023
Try removing the motherboard battery (while pc is off), restart pc, and see if you can get to bios screen that way.
OK. Thank you. I'll give that a go.
TBH, I tried that with the old motherboard, as well as resetting the BIOS by bridging the Jumpers.

I have read-up on this and seem yo have tried most things.
I'm fully expecting it to be something stupid I've missed.

Apr 30, 2023
Have you looked over the motherboard troubleshooting guide provided in Asus Support?

PS; In your original post you did not list your monitor. Did you double check the input is set to HDMI?
Hello,
Thanks for the advice. I have run through the cycles og HDMI & VGA (& DIVx) - still no joy.
I've contacted Asus and told them what I've done.
They've have given me a bit of advice - but that hasn't worked either - so they are advising I return the part.
As I now have two mother boards - I'm wondering if its the CPU????
Is that likely???

Apr 30, 2023
Hello - and thank you.

I can't see a bent pin. I've been uber careful about that and have forced nothing re the CPU. It is orientated with the corner arrows aligned. I've use the lever alone to droop the CPU into it's slot.
My next move is to get the second motherboard returned as faulty - as recommended by Asus - and maybe get another CPU. I'm dealing with Ballicom in Coventry, UK. They have been pretty good with me on previous orders to now. Just that now I've bought some components to built my own machine, they are seemingly washing their hands of it. Finding it hard to stay loyal TBH. :(

Apr 30, 2023
On rereading your post, it seems to me it could be either your psu is connected to the motherboard incorrectly, the psu is malfunctioning, or the cpu is bad. The odds of two motherboards being bad is pretty low.
Hello,
OK - I'll confess that for the first few hours - I had no CPU power connected. Step 2 in the the "No POST bible". Fairly happy I have that sorted now. We have checked the output from the PSU - which seems fine (12v) - It fooled me that you need to power the thing up for the PSU to start doing its thing.
Sorry I missed your post - but I'm heading toward a bad CPU too. I agree two of the same components are unlikely to be bad - unless you can get a bad batch.

There is next to nothing going on here: Motherboard on its box, PSU, CPU, CPU cooler and paste, 1 stick of RAM. Video card in and out using systematic formulation... trying all outputs from board and GPU switching inputs to the monitor. It's an Iiyama so likely to auto detect anyhow...

( Murphy's law that I get this grief on my first build - surely it shouldn't be THIS hard???)

Hello,
OK - I'll confess that for the first few hours - I had no CPU power connected. Step 2 in the the "No POST bible". Fairly happy I have that sorted now. We have checked the output from the PSU - which seems fine (12v) - It fooled me that you need to power the thing up for the PSU to start doing its thing.
Sorry I missed your post - but I'm heading toward a bad CPU too. I agree two of the same components are unlikely to be bad - unless you can get a bad batch.

There is next to nothing going on here: Motherboard on its box, PSU, CPU, CPU cooler and paste, 1 stick of RAM. Video card in and out using systematic formulation... trying all outputs from board and GPU switching inputs to the monitor. It's an Iiyama so likely to auto detect anyhow...

( Murphy's law that I get this grief on my first build - surely it shouldn't be THIS hard???)
Could you be more specific about your RAM. I am not clear from your parts list, are you using two 16GB sticks or one 32GB stick?

Apr 30, 2023
Could you be more specific about your RAM. I am not clear from your parts list, are you using two 16GB sticks or one 32GB stick?
Hello and thanks for your help,

I have two sticks of RAM:
Kingston DDR4 - module - 32 GB - DIMM 288 pin - 3200 MHz / PC4 2
I've tried with them singly and as a pair using channels B2 and then B2 + A2
Interesting post just now...

Apr 30, 2023
So - the latest in this sorry saga is that I went an bought a Ryzen 5700 G (G-model this time - so definitely no need to mess about with external graphics). Still no joy.
Got some smaller RAM coming tomorrow. so we'll see if that fixes it.
Watch this space...

Apr 30, 2023
The Tech Specs page for this motherboard list memory support for up to "4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4".
Agreed - that's why I bought it.
The compatibility pages say 32 Gb - so not consistent.
My experience of 2 of these boards is that it won't boot with a 32Gb stick, but will boot with either 1 or 2 x 8Gb sticks. So the empirical evidence says the 128 Gb is wrong.

My experience of 2 of these boards is that it won't boot with a 32Gb stick, but will boot with either 1 or 2 x 8Gb sticks. So the empirical evidence says the 128 Gb is wrong.
There are small, but not insignificant odds that the 32gb stick is also just faulty.

It is safer to buy RAM listed on the Memory Support page. The memory support page does not list anything from Kingston, a few from Corsair and many kits from G.SKILL.

Reactions: super61
Apr 30, 2023
I think want can close this one.

RockTalkRock seems to be correct.
I had no idea kit had become so "fussy"
I have 4 off 8Gb sticks from Kingston.
It boots fine and I'm assured that 32 Gb is OK for anything apart from heavy rendering. It's a GP machine do all good.

Thanks for the help everyone. It's easy once you know....