PC build not running nearly as well as it should with the components I used. Can't figure out why?

Oct 31, 2018
Hey all, I'm hoping I have the right category for this.

I built a PC about a year and a half ago for video editing and it has never seemed to run as well as it should. I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot it.

Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.4GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
MB: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
2x Samsung EVO 500GB SSD (One 850 and one 860)
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB 7200RPM
PS: EVGA Supernova 650 G2

Here's the problem:
This rig was built with the intention of handling 4k editing like a breeze. All my research leading up to the build told me that I'd have more than enough here to get the job done using these components. However, I have never been able to smoothly edit 4k footage in Adobe Premiere. It has always dropped frames (like, almost all of them) and had a very difficult time playing anything smoothly. I have resorted to using proxies all the time now, and it doesn't even always run smoothly with the proxies in place. Outside of Premiere, there are other issues. While the few games I've ever tried seem to run fine (I had to dial back some settings on Project Cars 2 to get it to run smoothly, so maybe this is also due to whatever the overall problem is), I have had constant issues with Windows 10. Basically, whenever I pull up a video file from a folder, it's almost like it can't buffer it's own file. Takes forever to start playing and then drops tons of frames. The weird part is, on a fresh restart of the machine, everything seems to run totally smoothly. But it doesn't take long for things to start skipping again.

Here's what troubleshooting I've done:
All of the drivers are up to date, to my knowledge. Meaning, I've gone through manually and made sure to download every new driver I could find for all components.

I'm hoping somebody can give me the slightest clue of what's going on here. Obviously, it's been manageable since it's taken me a year and a half to bite the bullet and start to really look for answers. It's just bugging me that I feel like I should be getting a lot more performance out of this machine. I don't know if there's some inherent compatibility issues with my components, or if I didn't install something correctly.

Any help with this is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure about the editing, that might be down to your drives. All SATA?

GTX1070 is not a 4K gaming card, it can just handle 2560x1440 at around 70FPS in most titles. At 4K you are probably looking at medium/low settings to get maximum frame rates.

Oct 31, 2018
All SATA, yeah. Haven't really troubleshooted that, though. I'll look more into it.

I don't do much gaming, so I'm not really worried about that. Although I've been able to run some games at 4k with no issues. Probably not super intensive games, though. I don't know a ton about that.

Oct 31, 2018
For more info, I'm currently exporting from Premiere and here is the load information:

CPU: 97-99% load; 75 C temp;
GPU: Fluctuates from 0-60% load; 60-65 C temp
RAM: 50% (of 32GB)