Discussion PC Builders - How did you obtain a copy of Windows?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How did you obtain a copy of Windows?

• Paid Retail Price

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Recycled Old Key

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Cheap Gray-Market Key

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Didn't Activate Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
and why in hell you edited my post? shouldn't be ppl know a basic of their OS, telemetry/sysmain eats a lot of disk.

cancel culture 101

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
my plan from 2023 is to finally go to Linux's based OS, i gotta learn.. I don't think Windows'll be a safe platform from 2024 and damn i gotta buy that ssd.. bc linux

USAFRet

Titan
and why in hell you edited my post? shouldn't be ppl know a basic of their OS, telemetry/sysmain eats a lot of disk.

cancel culture 101
This thread is specifically about obtaining Win 10.
Off channel means of activation are decidedly off limits.

As far as 'only Linux' after 2023?
Many say they will....few actually do.

I use both.

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
This thread is specifically about obtaining Win 10.
Off channel means of activation are decidedly off limits.

As far as 'only Linux' after 2023?
Many say they will....few actually do.

I use both.

i get shivers already ahaha, is hard i don't say but i gotta learn. i've heard there's over 20 ways to install a program damn

Colif

Win 11 Master
My keys were originally OEM. I have 2 win 10 keys I guess now, one was on my last PC and was a 7 key that was upgraded to 10, and is still on my old PC.
New PC got a new license as old PC still worked and I needed 2. It has since been upgraded to 11.

I prefer to pay for a new licence instead of playing the lottery of "will it keep working"

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
My copy went through a lot of phases. It started life as a retail copy of Windows 8 Pro (disc) which I bought along with a Lenovo laptop around 2012 (Ivy Bridge was still fresh). It was then upgraded to 8.1 and 10 at launch date. The laptop died around 2016 (split in half). When I built this PC I transplanted the laptop's HDD into the PC and weirdly enough, it works. No license problem whatsoever (I believe I asked about this here years ago). That copy had been cloned to different SSDs, went through several upgrades and whatnot. It's on Windows 11 now. But, in essence, it's still the same copy that hailed from that Windows 8 disc.

I have another PC upstairs that runs Windows 10. That one.... let's just say I followed the cough Tech Yes City way, if you catch my meaning.

Vista to W7 upgrade for a small fee than free upgrades to W8/8.1 than to W10 and now using that license for W11 Insider Dev.
Other W7Pro Retail license gifted to me at W7 promo conference, upgraded to W8/8.1 to W10 and now to W11 Pro and it survived several HW upgrades, still running like champ.
One W10 Pro OEM came with a HP laptop and it's staying there as it's not (officially) eligible for W11 upgrade.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
obtained Windows through various methods through the years.

1. Sempron pc (paid full retail price for the windows XP cd) - we found it displayed at the entrance of an appliance center of a huge shopping mall. Mom bought it for me. Was given an original Windows XP Home edition cd. Sadly, with the passing of time, I've forgotten where the cd was placed in the house.

2. Q9500 pc on sig - found it at a second hand pc korean store. It already has Windows 7 when they sold it to me. Later, an employee from that store upgraded the pc with Windows 10 with his usb.

3. i7-2600k pc on sig - this is also a second hand pc that came from the korean store. Came with Windows 10 already installed.

4. i5-10600k pc - I purchased brand new parts from various stores at the same huge mall where I got the Sempron. Then when all parts obtained, went to the korean store where an employee put together the parts for me. He installed windows 10 on it using his usb.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS