PC building newbie looking to upgrade gaming rig

Jul 28, 2018
Hello everyone! Thanks for giving my situation a gander, I honestly have quite a few questions, so feel free to contribute any advice at all, I'll try to be as concise as I can.

I bought a high-end (for the time) gaming PC from a friend who needed money, but its gotten a bit old, and the parts are starting to wear out.

I am having trouble deciding what needs upgrading and what doesn't, and I would also appreciate some advice on the most cost-effective parts to get right now for some high-end gaming. I have $1,400 to spend, but was definitely looking to spend far less than that unless necessary for best bang-to-buck ratio.

I can't even decide on monitors right now, I have a very old triple monitor setup with 3 1650x1050 Acer monitors, but they are individually kind of crappy, so I was considering "upgrading" (sidegrading? Opinions?) to a 27" 1440p 144hrz monitor (been looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-499-003&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Browsed&cm_mmc=EMCPB-072018-_-PB-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=9gpOWRNZqCgCS09LgNaAtqZAKNNPQxTW5yNnm7TjMPU%3D lemme know if you would caution against/advocate for).

Here are my current Specs:

Processor: Intel i7-2600k @ 3.40GHz

Ram: 2x8 Ripsaw DDR3 or 4, will check if necessary

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 680

Power Supply: Not sure, will check if needed, but I will probably end up upgrading this anyway.

Tower: Silverstone Raven 3 (with the flipped internals)

Possible complications: The system is watercooled, and to be frank I'm not tech-savvy enough to be able to tell you much about it, but I'd be happy to produce pictures.

So I know that was a lot to read, but if you have any advice at all I would be very happy to hear it. If you need any more information, please let me know. Thanks again, and I hope you all have a great day!

Solution
I wouldn't put that much stock in individual reviews. Ive used the 270 and 370 version of the board and it works flawlessly. It has been reviewed favorably by many sites. Most of those if not all probably messes up and fried their board accidently through static or anither error and then blamed it in the manufacturer.
You must be British using the word 'Gander'...though I could be wrong...

Okay you are in a slightly tough place as the 2600K which was a stellar CPU is reaching its limits, though still capable..Without ripping everything and starting at the beginning, I would look to upgrade your GPU to a 1070ti and the monitor..which will greatly improve gaming. Then when you are ready to do a full upgrade the GPU and monitor goes along otherwise,here is an idea as to what a complete system overhaul will do:

Also if you do not have an SSD that will make a big difference as well to your current setup...

CPU 8600K Circa $250 - Great pure gaming CPU
Motherboard - Asus - Prime Z370-P Around $100
RAM - G.Skill - Aegis 16GB Circa $142
GPU - EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB circa $260
SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA Circa $97
Power Supply - EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ $70

Roughly $900 and you can factoir in a Ryzen 2600 or even a 1700 which is super cheap right now and great value instead of Intel..which will save you some money.

The rest is a case and a CPU cooler if you went Intel...PS is your GPU watercooled as well?

Jul 28, 2018
Hi vMax, thanks for the info, sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. I'm from the U.S., I just like being creative with my lexicon.

Yes, my PC has served me very well for quite some time, but it is just as you say. A recent opportunity has changed my perspective on how to handle this situation though. My dad does some video editing, and his current PC just isn't handling it, so I am going to sell my old PC to him and use the money to help pay for a brand-new build. I will be keeping my current SSD until it eventually dies, finicky little things, and my tried-and-true WD Black, so I don't need to buy new storage. My old graphics card wasn't watercooled, it had great fans. I have been crafting up 2 different builds inspired by your suggestions, so if you have any more observations I would appreciate them.

Here is my expensive build:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.00 @ Amazon) I noticed the board you suggested was cheaper, do you think that board would but just as good in this build?
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($429.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - Graphite Series 230T Orange ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Power Supply: *EVGA - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC) I have heard it is good to over-power, am I going overboard?
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Cougar - Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.89 @ OutletPC) would 3 of these plus case fans be overkill?

Total: $1234.40

However, (If you're still reading), here is a cheaper PC I was looking at. Do you think this more affordable rig would be able to handle 27" 2550x1440 144hz monitor? When would I feel the pinch compared to the pricer build above?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($429.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - Graphite Series 230T Orange ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Power Supply: *EVGA - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.59 @ OutletPC) Think it's worth springing for the slightly pricer cd tray?
Case Fan: Cougar - Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.89 @ OutletPC) 1x3

Total: $1087.99

I would be really interested to know whether I'd notice the difference between the speed of these two computers, so again, any answers are appreciated. Thanks again for your help!

AAAAhhhhh, I hate giving advice when it comes to AMD vs Intel as you get beaten either way by you know who....For me both are doing a great job with there CPU's and well done to AMD for bringing real compition into the game...

A few comments: Personally for your monitor setup at that resolution you should go 8600K and 1070ti as it already will be using the CPU and GPU to the max to drive that resolution and Hz!!!!...The one problem is the Hyper 212 EVO cooler which unfortuantly is just not enough and I would spend more if you go the Intel route with a Nocyua, Dark Rock Pro etc or aeven a 240 AIO...

Onto the Ryzen 2600, this will still do a decent enough job but with the added bonus of an additional 6 threads that will come in play for any productivity based work and will eat that up. Also the higher resolution the less the CPU becomes the bottle neck and moves over to the GPU. your close but if its just gaming you will get better frames from the 8600K and it overclocks so easily to 4.8, 4.9 which is very achievable to 5GHz and above where you need to get a bit lucky on the Silicon Lottery.

On the power supply side, I am a firm believer in always go a little more than you need, so I would stick with 750w even though a 600 or 650w would do the job...Though quality is the key where power supply's are concerned and at least Gold..

The Asus Z370 Prime motherboard you have chosen is better and Guru3d managed to get his 8700K overclocked to 5.2GHz on this motherboard...with an AIO!!!

Bottom line, if it was pure gaming, go the Intel route, if it is a mixture of productivity and gaming, then the Ryzen...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($83.65 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($151.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1250.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-31 12:13 EDT-0400

1. No reason to pay over $150 for a motherboard. This one is on sale and will handle whatever u ask.
2. RAM is cheaper and same speed.
3. 1080 is barely more than 1070ti.
4. Better CPU cooler for overclocking.
5. 650 watts is plenty.
6. Could pick better cases for airflow but doesnt matter much if you prefer that case.

Cant argue on the ASRock motherboard which is reviewed well though I prefer Asus and Gigabyte (personal preference as I have caught the RGB disease) and the Seasonic is by far the best make when it comes to Power Supplies...though the wattage is on the low side...I know, I know its more than enough but I cant help but going a bit higher.

If there is hardly any price difference between the 1070ti and 1080..then 1080 all the way.

Jul 28, 2018
Thanks for finding those good deals bmockeg, I think that build looks like a winner. From how you describe it vMax I think I'll stick with Intel. I can definitely justify the 1080 with that cheaper motherboard. I agree with getting the highest build quality power supply possible, you want that thing as reliable as a revolver. I liked the orange/black aesthetics of that Corsair case, but if you have better suggestions for airflow cooling I'd be happy to hear them since I'm relying on airflow cooling for this rig. I also see the sense in a high-end CPU cooler, that one was just so popular and cheap I thought it was a dream come true. These suggestions have been very helpful everyone!

Update: I checked out some reviews for the ASRock Z370 Killer motherboard on Newegg, and it seems like recently quite a few of them have been arriving defective, makes me a little cautious about the board.

I wouldn't put that much stock in individual reviews. Ive used the 270 and 370 version of the board and it works flawlessly. It has been reviewed favorably by many sites. Most of those if not all probably messes up and fried their board accidently through static or anither error and then blamed it in the manufacturer.

Solution