[SOLVED] PC cannot boot when a certain external ssd drive is connected

danezeq

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
hey.

my MB is Gigabyte Z390 gaming X-CF
the ssd drive is Sandisk Extreme portable SSD 1TR

When this drive is connected, BOOT is stuck on first screen with Gigabyte logo. nothing works, even hit DEL key isn't working.
Only when i disconnect the drive, the boot unfreezes.
i've tried to remove this drive from booting priorities list on boot setup interface, but it still freezes the boot.

for some reason, sometimes the drive doesnt couase boot freezing, i cannot find any rules when does this happen and when not. which make it even more confusing.

Anyone? :)

Solution
Yes I've enabled USB booting because i boot from another external ssd drive.
i don't understand why it randomly select between them. (i mean, when they both connected, sometimes it boots from the right drive, and it doesn't stuck)

Try to identify the USB port number 0 on your motherboard and connect the main boot SSD to that port, if it still select the drive randomly, I guess that nothing you could do about it.

danezeq

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
i don't understand why it randomly select between them. (i mean, when they both connected, sometimes it boots from the right drive, and it doesn't stuck)

Try to identify the USB port number 0 on your motherboard and connect the main boot SSD to that port, if it still select the drive randomly, I guess that nothing you could do about it.

Solution