Windows 10
Optiplex 9020
BIOS Version A25
4x4GB RAM
i7 4790 Non-K
Zotac 1070 ti Mini
EVGA 750w GQ 80 Plus Gold

[Moderator edit to break up solid paragraph of text.]

I see two other related posts that were never solved and I've post other places about this myself with no responses. Really hope someone here may have an idea of what's going on.

Not sure if this is hardware related as I've gradually upgraded.

Things I've changed since the problem started. I changed out the i5 4590 for the i7 4790 and the PSU was a EVGA 650w GQ 80 Plus.

However after upgrading the GPU from a 750 ti to a 1070 ti that required a separate 8 pin from the PSU I found out that the PSU was faulty and the PC would suddenly shut down during gaming sessions without a BSOD. (Tested that with multiple 1070s in case it was a PSU issue).

So I RMAd it for the 750w. A little while after these changes I can no longer put my PC to sleep. The monitors will turn off, the HDD spins down and the keyboard and mouse turn off. However the PC power LED stays lit, the fans on the CPU and GPU keep spinning and the Drive activity light stays blinking.

Eventually after around 5 minutes like this the HDD will spin back up and the PC will fully shut down. I've also had one instance where my main monitor wouldn't come on after it went to sleep from inactivity until I hit it's power button off then on. I've tried turning off Hibernate, Fast Boot, resetting the power options, clean boot, a Windows 10 Repair install, brand new RAM.

Nothing has helped. I can only get it to sleep successfully if I put it to sleep soon after turning it on. I recently also get a TPM Module Failure Event in The Event viewer after an instance where I forgot I'd reset the power management and the PC attempted and failed to auto-sleep.

Not sure if that's related? I have no issues with stress tests of the GPU/PSU/CPU, gaming, booting, shutting down. Just can't sleep.

Last edited:
1) Did you test it right after the clean boot?
2) How did you set the system to do a clean boot? MSConfig?
3) Did you also disable all non-MS Services when doing so?

Long story short, something is running in the background that's causing it to not want to sleep. It could be a random service, system process, or program but somethings doing it.

It may come down to doing a clean reinstall and then stepping through the install process of everything and testing in between to see what is triggering it but that's a worse case scenario. There are methods of doing a true clean boot that will help isolate it before going that route.

Sep 25, 2023
The clean boot that I performed was not from this tutorial, but I followed the same steps. I did end up disabling all non-MS services in the process. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

At first the clean boot seemed to have worked, I tested putting my PC to sleep several times over the course of a day, I was able to put my PC to sleep even after having used it for several hours gaming, working, web browsing. Out of nowhere though, it had the issue again without having reactivated any of my usual app.

So after that I just re-enabled everything since that didn't seem to be the issue. The thing I thought was initially causing this was my Bluetooth Adapter. As the PC seemed to sleep just fine until I connected the dongle. I even tried my spouses dongle as they're the same model. I had also previously noticed that occasionally having the dongle in would cause my PC mouse to lag and my PC to make odd beeps when opening things like File Explorer. This would stop when unplugging the dongle. However this has now happened without the dongle as well.

So I'm at a loss. I could try a fully fresh install, but I've honestly been trying to avoid that. Might be my only option at this point.