PC can't see Windows Boot Drive with a new GTX 1080 ti installed, Old GPU works still

bldude

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Hello everyone, new here, with a problem first thing (Of course ;)).

I recently got the GTX 1080 ti Asus rog strix oc edition, and excitedly went to install it into my PC.

My PC uses:
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3 Mobo
intel core i7-6700k
2x16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram @2666mhz (Though currently at 2133 default)
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot Drive) *Bought on a flight of fancy*
Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5in. Sata SSD (Storage Drive)
EVGA 650 watt P2 PSU
Asus xonar DSX sound card
standard cd/dvd drive

In bios, my PC doesn't see the 960 Evo SSD, which is my boot drive. The only things seen are the 1TB storage drive and the cd/dvd drive. I assume the gpu works fine as it powers on okay.

Swapping back to an older gpu (GTX 960) lets the PC see the 960 evo and boot to windows.

At first I thought it was a pcie lane issue (with both the 960 evo and gtx 1080 ti together), but after looking at some other answers on the internet, it seems like I should have enough lanes (As I originally thought).

(*Edit: 960 Evo is in the first M.2 slot, closest to the CPU, and the gpu also in the first PCIEx16 slot. The motherboard has 2x M.2 slots and 3x pcie 16 slots)

(*Edit 2: Bios is F7, which dates back to mid 2016, but there are only two newer bios, and none seem relevant... (Originally said F6...I'm dumb and can't read >_<)

Any ideas folks?

Solution
I would update to newest bios.

If it works with old GPU, not with new gpu then it is not a connection problem, not a SSD problem, so bios is the only logical issue here besides a motherboard or GPU defect.

RektSkrubz

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Possibly try disconnecting one of the SATA drives and booting? Also make sure in your bios to have M.2 support enabled, as my Asus board has this option to disable and enable it whenever. Not sure if Gigabyte BIOS has that, but it should.

bldude

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Yes, updating to the newest bios did it.