Question PC case fans spinning like mad but PC starts to heat up withing minutes ?

Feb 14, 2023
Hi I am looking for some advice please?

My pc fans are going nuts at the minute but I am not sure why. I have 3x front case fans and 1x exhaust fan that came with the case. They have been a nightmare from the day the case arrived. My pc is heating up from the minute it starts up. All fans are spinning but not sure they are set right. I have optimised through the bios and using the software for my motherboard but I can get the fans to settle and cool my pc. Should I replace all the fans or just the cpu cooler or is something else causing the issue? Thanks

My pc spec is
Ryzen 5 5600x
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus WiFi II
MSI RTX 3060Ti
2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX DD4 3600Mhz
RM750 80Plus Gold
2TB WD SN850 NVM M.2
Arctic Freezer A35 Cooler
DeepCool Mattrex 50 case, ARGB 4x 120Fans

Ralston18

Titan
Before doing anything more troubleshooting is needed.

What temperatures and rpms are being recorded?

If possible take some photographs showing the inside of the case with all fans, etc..

Post the photograph here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Indicate air flow directions for all fans. Show vents if not visible

It could be that with three intake fans and only one exhaust fan the resulting airflows may not be as expected. Or simply insufficient.

If photograph is not possible then make a simple sketch.

Feb 14, 2023
Exactly what is heating up within minutes...and to what temperatures?

Check CPU heatsink for:
even tightening of all mounting screws,
plastic film, if used, removed from the bottom of the heatsink
even and adequate application of thermal compound

What are the fan orientations?
I definitely removed all the plastic. I checked it was all tight and seated correctly last night.

Feb 14, 2023
Before doing anything more troubleshooting is needed.

What temperatures and rpms are being recorded?

If possible take some photographs showing the inside of the case with all fans, etc..

Post the photograph here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Indicate air flow directions for all fans. Show vents if not visible

It could be that with three intake fans and only one exhaust fan the resulting airflows may not be as expected. Or simply insufficient.

If photograph is not possible then make a simple sketch.
Highest temp today so far as I am using the pc for was 72 degrees and all I had open was teams (not on a call) and chrome with one tab open.

rpm - CPU Fan 449 rpm, fan 1 (Back) 579 rpm and the front is now sitting at 873 rpm but my temp is now 66 degrees.

I definitely removed all the plastic. I checked it was all tight and seated correctly last night.
so again...exactly which temperature is going really high, really quickly. What utility are you using to measure the temperature.

AMD's reported it is normal for 5000 series processors to run around 90-95C. That's going to be under a heavy workload but if your system's new and you're installing games the processor is used heavily to decompress the download so it's temp could be rising as a result.

More information is needed, especially regarding case fan orientation and airflow.

Highest temp today so far as I am using the pc for was 72 degrees and all I had open was teams (not on a call) and chrome with one tab open.

rpm - CPU Fan 449 rpm, fan 1 (Back) 579 rpm and the front is now sitting at 873 rpm but my temp is now 66 degrees.
72C is getting warm, certainly warmer than I'd like only browsing but not dangerous hot yet for 5600's.

But CPU fan is way too slow... I'd run the CPU fan with a base speed much higher, probably in the 1200-1400RPM range minimum. If it's not quiet doing that then get a cheap super-quiet fan like Arctic P12 (if that cooler doesn't already have one on it). You can run those fans around 1600RPM and barely hear it; even at max speed (around 1800) it's a pleasing whir on a Thermaltake tower heatsink I'm using one on.

Last edited:
Reactions: AshM278
Feb 14, 2023
72C is getting warm, certainly warmer than I'd like only browsing but not dangerous hot yet for 5600's.

But CPU fan is way too slow... I'd run the CPU fan with a base speed much higher, probably in the 1200-1400RPM range minimum. If it's not quiet doing that then get a cheap super-quiet fan like Arctic P12 (if that cooler doesn't already have one on it). You can run those fans around 1600RPM and barely hear it; even at max speed (around 1800) it's a pleasing whir on a Thermaltake tower heatsink I'm using one on.
Ok I have adjusted the CPU fan as you said and the temperature is dropping. I will leave it running at 1250 rpm as the minimum and see how it goes. It is now sitting at 34 degrees, this is the lowest temp I have had. What temps and rpm am I looking for for average use not gaming? I know when I game it will increase.

Thanks for your help with this, really appreciate it

... What temps and rpm am I looking for for average use not gaming?....
Ryzen CPU's are extremely dynamic with aggressively opportunistic boost algorithms. You might see higher temp spikes from time to time but average use like web browsing, word processing probably not out of the 50's but may jump into the 60's or even 70's if it entails decompressing files or similar heavy all-core work even briefly.

As I said, let your ears judge the base fan speed: as high as possible while keeping it a comfortable background noise level. This is where super-quiet fans are great to have. Let it climb to maximum speed by 85C at most as that's going to be where it really limits boosting in heavy workloads. I don't expect it to ever see that in gaming which should be low 70's at most (depends on game of course) unless case ventilation is inadequate. If case fans are inadequate or badly arranged then the GPU exhaust air will be used to heat up the CPU and it's temperature may even go into the 80's.

Feb 14, 2023
Ryzen CPU's are extremely dynamic with aggressively opportunistic boost algorithms. You might see higher temp spikes from time to time but average use like web browsing, word processing probably not out of the 50's but may jump into the 60's or even 70's if it entails decompressing files or similar heavy all-core work even briefly.

As I said, let your ears judge the base fan speed: as high as possible while keeping it a comfortable background noise level. This is where super-quiet fans are great to have. Let it climb to maximum speed by 85C at most as that's going to be where it really limits boosting in heavy workloads. I don't expect it to ever see that in gaming which should be low 70's at most (depends on game of course) unless case ventilation is inadequate. If case fans are inadequate or badly arranged then the GPU exhaust air will be used to heat up the CPU and it's temperature may even go into the 80's.
Ok, sounds like I am on the right path now. The fans have been the issue since I got the case. When I have been gaming in the past I have reached 95 - 100 at times and the pc has shut off. It has been constantly increasing or unstable. I will have a better look when I finish work.

Ok, sounds like I am on the right path now. The fans have been the issue since I got the case. When I have been gaming in the past I have reached 95 - 100 at times and the pc has shut off. It has been constantly increasing or unstable. I will have a better look when I finish work.
As @Ralston18 asked, if you post a photo or diagram of your case and fan arrangement them you'll get better assistance with setting up for good ventilation. And if you just don't have enough fans yet or plan on purchasing some quiet ones opening the case side covers can help in the mean time.

Going above 95, and especially up to 100C is very bad obviously.

Feb 14, 2023
As @Ralston18 asked, if you post a photo or diagram of your case and fan arrangement them you'll get better assistance with setting up for good ventilation. And if you just don't have enough fans yet or plan on purchasing some quiet ones opening the case side covers can help in the mean time.

Going above 95, and especially up to 100C is very bad obviously.

I think I have a decent flow which was confusing things when it didn't seem to work. I can't get the pics uploaded.

@Ralston18 I have been trying to upload pics to imgur as you suggested up it won't let me register for some reason. I thought I might already have an account but I don't. I did take pictures, to upload. Thank you also for you advice.

Thank you very much to you both @drea.drechsler and @Ralston18

I think I have a decent flow which was confusing things when it didn't seem to work. I can't get the pics uploaded.

@Ralston18 I have been trying to upload pics to imgur as you suggested up it won't let me register for some reason. I thought I might already have an account but I don't. I did take pictures, to upload. Thank you also for you advice.

Thank you very much to you both @drea.drechsler and @Ralston18
Well...a suggestion if you're open to it; I looked at that case and it seems to be ideal for an AIO. You could comfortably mount it at the front with fans arranged to draw cool air in and across the radiator to cool the CPU with outside air. The hot exhaust of both CPU (from the radiator) and GPU would be lifted up to the top and rear by two of the three front fans moved to the top.

Otherwise, I'm assuming you have three fans in front blowing in and only one in back as shown in the advert pictures. That leaves the hot GPU exhaust plenty of time to circulate and heat up the CPU. You need two more fans in the top spots to pull it through to the top and pull the cool air being brought in the front to the input of the CPU cooler fan. It should improve things but an AIO with front mounted radiator is always the best approach IMO.

Feb 14, 2023
Well...a suggestion if you're open to it; I looked at that case and it seems to be ideal for an AIO. You could comfortably mount it at the front with fans arranged to draw cool air in and across the radiator to cool the CPU with outside air. The hot exhaust of both CPU (from the radiator) and GPU would be lifted up to the top and rear by two of the three front fans moved to the top.

Otherwise, I'm assuming you have three fans in front blowing in and only one in back as shown in the advert pictures. That leaves the hot GPU exhaust plenty of time to circulate and heat up the CPU. You need two more fans in the top spots to pull it through to the top and pull the cool air being brought in the front to the input of the CPU cooler fan. It should improve things but an AIO with front mounted radiator is always the best approach IMO.
Yes, I am open to your suggestion. I have never used or installed and AIO. I will need to check prices and find a suitable one for my spec

Feb 14, 2023
Yes, I am open to your suggestion. I have never used or installed and AIO. I will need to check prices and find a suitable one for my spec
It looks like your case could fit a 360mm AIO but even a 240mm AIO would be more than a 5600X really needs.

The choices are many. There higher priced ones are the ones with lots of RGB options. There are very good non-RGB models in several quality brands like BeQuiet, Cooler Master and as well Arctic at much lower prices but perform just as well at cooling.

Feb 14, 2023
It looks like your case could fit a 360mm AIO but even a 240mm AIO would be more than a 5600X really needs.

The choices are many. There higher priced ones are the ones with lots of RGB options. There are very good non-RGB models in several quality brands like BeQuiet, Cooler Master and as well Arctic at much lower prices but perform just as well at cooling.
I am not really fussed about the RGB if I am honest. Non-RGB is fine. I will have a look at the models you have suggested. How easy are they to install? Where would you suggest the best placement for the AIO would be, on the inside top panel?

I am not really fussed about the RGB if I am honest. Non-RGB is fine. I will have a look at the models you have suggested. How easy are they to install? Where would you suggest the best placement for the AIO would be, on the inside top panel?
I prefer the front because it uses cool outside air to cool the CPU. In the top uses the GPU's hot air to cool the CPU when gaming. It's not too hard but you'll also have to relocate the front fans to the top location. If using a 240mm AIO then the fans will probably have to be mounted behind the removeable front panel (probably where they are now). That's so you can use all three fan locations since the bottom tank would interfere with mounting a fan directly beneath it. The kit comes with long screws to mount fans to the front, through the front metal bulkhead and into the radiator. The radiator itself is always mounted on the inside of the case because of the hoses.

There are several you-tube videos mounting one, most likely there's one of mounting the one you choose.

EDIT add....i just noticed something in your photos I'd missed before. You have a solid glass front case and that's essentially giving you zero air flow. If you have an option to remove the glass front and replace it with a mesh front, do so before buying anything else. If not, but you can relocate the fans from between the front bulkhead and glass panel to the interior behind the bulkhead do that instead; that will at least improve airflow into the case somewhat by removing the obstruction from the air inlets on the sides of the front panel.

Also put two more fans in the top, pulling air up and out. Even if you get the front fans relocated that case with a glass panel is very restrictive so those two extra fans are pretty much critical to get enough airflow through it. If moving the fans works then you can fix it up with only buying a couple more for the top.

But if you want to go with an AIO, forget about the idea above of locating 240mm radiator fans between the front panel and front bulkhead unless you can replace the glass with a mesh panel. Instead, mount the fans between the radiator and front bulkhead keeping everything on the inside. This also allows mounting a third fan in the open location. Before I was trying to maintain the look you have now but that's just not a good idea with a glass front panel.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Re: imgur.

No not an idiot., The website is very "busy" as are many other similar sites. Very distracting overall.

The images posted so it all worked out and that is all that matters.

Also per @drea.drechsler 's posts you have lots of options to consider.

Methodically work through the suggestions. Keep notes on what you try. Include temperatures, fan speeds, etc..

Likely you will find a simple and straightforward fix. At little or no expense.

Feb 14, 2023
@drea.drechsler @Ralston18

Thanks to you both for the suggestions and feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and help. Just an update of where I am now. I played about with the fan RPMs for a bit and I have managed to get the core temp sitting at 34-45 degrees during the day when I am working. I have tried a few different games to test the temp. The highest temperature I have got to has been 72 while playing a game. Mostly staying between 60-70 degrees.

Also put two more fans in the top, pulling air up and out. Even if you get the front fans relocated that case with a glass panel is very restrictive so those two extra fans are pretty much critical to get enough airflow through it. If moving the fans works then you can fix it up with only buying a couple more for the top.

I think I will purchase a further 2 fans and try and pull more air out as you suggest. I am unsure if the glass on the front of the case can be removed but that might be an option. Either that or a different case all together but for the time being it is cool and consistently staying at acceptable temperatures.

No not an idiot., The website is very "busy" as are many other similar sites. Very distracting overall.
I certainly felt like one when I saw the option lol. It is very busy but thanks for sparing my blushes.

Methodically work through the suggestions. Keep notes on what you try. Include temperatures, fan speeds, etc..
This was definitely the best approach.

Thanks again to you both.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
@drea.drechsler @Ralston18

Thanks to you both for the suggestions and feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and help. Just an update of where I am now. I played about with the fan RPMs for a bit and I have managed to get the core temp sitting at 34-45 degrees during the day when I am working. I have tried a few different games to test the temp. The highest temperature I have got to has been 72 while playing a game. Mostly staying between 60-70 degrees.

I think I will purchase a further 2 fans and try and pull more air out as you suggest. I am unsure if the glass on the front of the case can be removed but that might be an option. Either that or a different case all together but for the time being it is cool and consistently staying at acceptable temperatures.
72C max is certainly an acceptable temperature for gaming with a 5600X CPU so things have been improved to be sure. If you haven't yet, try moving the front fans to the interior side of the bulkhead. That should also improve airflow considerably.

GamersNexus has been railing against airflow obstructing cases designs like that for years now. While they do look cool they don't run so cool.

Feb 14, 2023
72C max is certainly an acceptable temperature for gaming with a 5600X CPU so things have been improved to be sure. If you haven't yet, try moving the front fans to the interior side of the bulkhead. That should also improve airflow considerably.

GamersNexus has been railing against airflow obstructing cases designs like that for years now. While they do look cool they don't run so cool.
Yes I should've chose a better case. I might change it in the future