Question PC Case Vibrating Noise

Oct 22, 2021
Hello everyone. I've had a problem since yesterday that's been driving me crazy. I recently bought a new rig (Ryzen 5 5600x, Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2, Corsair Vengeance 16GB, Adata XPG Pylon 650W, Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX, Arctic Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo). Also got two SSDs (Crucial MX 500GB + 250GB), two HDDs (WD Blue 1TB and 2TB) and a RX 470 Sapphire+ 8GB which I kept from my previous system. For the past week the PC was working fine and it still does, but yesterday I had a BSOD when I tried to install Bluestacks (an android emulator), which incidentally also happened on my previous build (also gigabyte mobo and amd cpu). Since then I noticed some kind of buzzing or vibrating noise coming from the back side of the case, which was not present before. I've been trying to isolate the noise but to no avail. I tried to lift the GPU, since it's sagging a bit, and it seemed to help but afterwards I could still hear the noise. The only thing that seems to help is tilting the computer sideways just a tiny bit (one to three cm, any more and it will buzz even more than before). I tried placing some paper beneath the legs to hold the case in that position but the vibrating sound is still there, so only holding it in the air seems to work. Also removing the glass panel alleviates the noise a bit, so apparently having it on amplifies it. Weird thing is that depending on my distance to the case I might hear or not hear it sometimes. For example when sitting or standing next to it I can hear it, but when I get closer to it I might not hear it until I almost shove my face inside the case. I've already checked the back exhaust fans, the CPU Cooler, the GPU Fans and tried to tighten the PSU screws but to no avail. Currently I'm rather frustrated and incapable of finding out the source, thus I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions.

Oct 22, 2021
I tried recording the noise but only the fans can be heard. I checked the link MangaTech posted but I couldn't find any issue with the front panel nor the I/O shield that was stated in that thread. The recording though with buzzing noise is similar although not as loud. I'll try to check the HDDs as well. Also to note that the cable management behind the side panel is a bit messy (though it didn't pose any problem before).

I tried recording the noise but only the fans can be heard. I checked the link MangaTech posted but I couldn't find any issue with the front panel nor the I/O shield that was stated in that thread. The recording though with buzzing noise is similar although not as loud. I'll try to check the HDDs as well. Also to note that the cable management behind the side panel is a bit messy (though it didn't pose any problem before).
This is most likely fans reaching a certain rpm and humming due to resonance. This would be very hard to pick up on all the but the best mics because it is usually either a very high or low frequency hum that is not contained within the range of a mics recording frequency (typically around 60hz-18,000hz).
Here is another forum discussing what I am talking about. Its old, but still relevant to you.

Oct 22, 2021
Are you sure it's not a cable/wire slightly touching a fan while it's spinning?
Well, I'll make sure to check everything thoroughly tomorrow. For now I can say for certain that the source is not up front, but I've yet to determine exactly where it's coming from. I'll try running it with the case fans off, as well as the cpu cooler, just to make sure that's it's not coming from the PSU.

Oct 22, 2021
It could be coil whine from the GPU, PSU. Mobo in that order.
I'd heard that this kind of thing happens with large power grids, didn't expect it to occur in PC hardware. Still I can say for sure that it isn't the GPU. I'll try some methods I've read online for determining where the noise is coming from exactly. Hope I will have results today and maybe even have it fixed as well.

Update: I checked some videos showcasing coil whine and I've got to say that the noise isn't quite the same, mine sounds more mechanical, like physical vibration. So, I made funnel out of a magazine and used it to isolate the source. It was coming from the CPU cooler area. In order to check whether it was coming off the cooler itself (or the surrounding fans, plus to rule out the coil whine issue on the motherboard) I unplugged it and booted without it. And voila, the noise stopped. I plugged the cooler back in and after a while the noise started again. Physically checking the cooler, it seems to be a bit loose, by which I mean I can bend it up and down slightly. When first installing it on the motherboard I remember that its backplate wouldn't keep still when attaching the standoffs and brackets (it slipt downwards). In the end I managed to assemble it by holding the backplate upwards while screwing in the brackets. On a previous motherboard I was testing (MSI Z490 A-Pro together with an i5 11600K) the same cooler was perfectly still and never noticed any vibrating sounds. Anyone else have such an experience with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021
If the CPU heatsink wasn't/isn't attached properly to the CPU, you would definitely have an overheating issue. Are you saying the heatsink fan is/was loose?
The heatsink itself is attached to the CPU (I had some trouble with it in the beginning, so I made sure to secure it completely). Idle temperatures are around 30 to 35C and while gaming around 40 to 50C max. What I meant by loose is that I can shift the upper part of the heatsink up and down slightly without the part that is attached to the CPU coming loose (from I've seen up until now at least).

The heatsink itself is attached to the CPU (I had some trouble with it in the beginning, so I made sure to secure it completely). Idle temperatures are around 30 to 35C and while gaming around 40 to 50C max. What I meant by loose is that I can shift the upper part of the heatsink up and down slightly without the part that is attached to the CPU coming loose (from I've seen up until now at least).
If you can shift the upper part of the heatsink up and down without the part that's attached to the CPU coming loose, that sounds like an issue with the motherboard and/or the CPU socket backplate.

Oct 22, 2021
If you can shift the upper part of the heatsink up and down without the part that's attached to the CPU coming loose, that sounds like an issue with the motherboard and/or the CPU socket backplate.
When first installing the cooler I had to remove the default brackets which made the backplate come loose. Afterwards while installing the standoffs I noticed that while I could screw them in the backplate, it would still be loose. By which I mean I could still pull it away from the mobo by a small margin. I thought that it would be stable after tightening the thumb nuts. I'll probably email both gigabyte and arctic cooling if I can't a solution myself (in case I missed something while mounting the cooler). Also, what is the purpose of the spacers? I have the feeling that they might play a role in this and the problem is that I used them on the previous motherboard I had.

Oct 22, 2021
What was the previous motherboard? was it a motherboard for an Intel CPU?
It was a MSI Z490 A-Pro for Intel 1200. The cooler came with multiple standoffs (AM4, intel 1151 and 1200). I used the 1200 on that motherboards and the cooler was sitting perfectly still. I don't know what's the deal with Gigabyte, whether it's a product defect or I did something wrong.