PC caused power outage in room, now no signs of life

Sep 3, 2018
I was gaming last night when the power in my room went out, rest of the house worked fine. Turns out the break in the control panel had fallen so I raised it up again and went back to reboot my pc but as soon as I pressed the on button on the surge protector and power flowed to the pc, the breaker fell down again.

This went on for awhile, but everytime the pc received power the breaker would instantly fall. This hasn't happened before and I have this setup for more than 3 years (changed PSU last year + added surge protector). Plus, no other devices connected to that circuit were running, but even if they had, I've been running with this circuit for years, why break down now? I left the pc unconnected all night and tried to rework it at dawn and this time I did manage to connect it without making the breaker fall down but its probably because pc is dead now. PSU possibly burned out even if its relatively new and with protector in check?

I'm afraid if I switch the PSU for a new one, the breaker thing is going to happen again and it will just burn it again. I tried to connect my pc to a different circuit with no result today, but that could be because PSU is already dead.

Any ideas?

Solution
The house circuit breaker (trusting that I am understanding the situation correctly) is tripping ("fallen") because there is an electrical short somewhere.

An electrical short is a dangerous situation that can cause electric shocks, fires, and/or damage connected devices.

The safest approach is to have someone with the applicable knowledge and skill to take a look at your home's electrical circuits.

Especially the circuit in question. Breakers, wires, outlets, etc.

You must identify the source of the problem and not just keep repairing the damages in hope that things will work out.

Get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help. Otherwise get an electrician.

Yes, the PSU may have borne the brunt of the resulting damage and...

Ralston18

Titan
The house circuit breaker (trusting that I am understanding the situation correctly) is tripping ("fallen") because there is an electrical short somewhere.

An electrical short is a dangerous situation that can cause electric shocks, fires, and/or damage connected devices.

The safest approach is to have someone with the applicable knowledge and skill to take a look at your home's electrical circuits.

Especially the circuit in question. Breakers, wires, outlets, etc.

You must identify the source of the problem and not just keep repairing the damages in hope that things will work out.

Get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help. Otherwise get an electrician.

Yes, the PSU may have borne the brunt of the resulting damage and is dead. PSU's can also be tested.

But get the circuit checked before anything else.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS