Question Pc completely damaged by a power surge?

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
Hi there, my pc went completely to black during the middle of gaming and I was unable to turn it back on. Fast forward to me taking up the pc repair shop hes come back after 2 days and said my cpu, motherboard have been completely fried and my 3080 graphics card is in "intermission". The cause a power surge apparently. This is really confusing to me because I had my pc plugged into a power surge protector. So how has basically my entire pc been damaged completely to the point where its unusable even when i have bought a surge protector for this exact reason? Am I being scammed? Should I take my pc to another shop for a second opinion?

I'll be interested to hear from this forum what you guys think. If you would like me to expand further please ask

Many thanks,

Jordan

hes come back after 2 days and said my cpu, motherboard have been completely fried and my 3080 graphics card is in "intermission". The cause a power surge apparently.
PSU can fail - yes,
GPU can fail also.
Motherboard failure - less likely.
CPU failure is highly unlikely (unless it was heavily overclocked).

If AIO radiator failed and leaked all over internals of your pc, then yes - that would be possible.

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
PSU can fail - yes,
GPU can fail also.
Motherboard failure - less likely.
CPU failure is highly unlikely (unless it was heavily overclocked).

If AIO radiator failed and leaked all over internals of your pc, then yes - that would be possible.

Is it really possible that a power surge could damage my pc parts even if i am using a good surge protector?

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
Thanks
Some are good some not so good depends on what you bought. Also nothing is actually fail proof.

Should you get a 2nd opinion on the PC 100% yes.

I had the Belkin 4 Socket Outlet 2 Meter Surge Strips. They were recommended to me by one of my friends. I dont even know if I had a power surge, theres no evidence aside from a person in a pc repair shop saying I did.

Last edited:

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Thanks

I had the Belkin 4 Socket Outlet 2 Meter Surge Strips. They were recommended to me by one of my friends. I dont even know if I had a power surge, theres no evidence aside from a person in a pc repair shop saying I did.
You definitely should get a second opinion before paying that guy a penny. While you're at it, try to get an explanation of what GPU "intermission" means :)

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
The only peice of tech that will protect you from a massive surge is an ups, that'll also protect you from brown outs as well.
Those surge protectors for 20 quid or so are pants tbh

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
I assume that is a misheard or mispronounced "Intermittent"
Yeah you are correct. I am pretty sure I had heard him say "intermission" in the first phone call, but when I called him back to clarify what he meant he said "intermittent". No idea if I missheard it or he mispronounced it.

Anyway I have taken my PC to get a second opinion so i'll update here once I hear back

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
good surge protector has warranty which should cover your connected equipment

I checked the website I bought the power surge protector from and they give a £20,000 connected equipment warranty. That is if there was a power surge that fried almost every part of my computer. I am starting to doubt the first diagnosis to be honest, there is no evidence there was even a power surge in the first place but I'll wait and see what the other pc repair shop says before I make a decision on what to do next

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
525 joule surge protection...thats good for lamps, mobile chargers and such, definitely not recomended for gaming PC, coudl work in home-office enviroment..low power PC, laptop, printer, router

Thats the thing I am pretty certain the power surge didnt happen anyway. I will definitely be investing in a higher joule surge protector once the dust has settled and I find out what actually happened

Reactions: Richj444