Discussion PC computers Vs Apple

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazbot

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

At least it's not Dell...

Hazbot

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

halcyon

Splendid

A zombie thread? ...wouldn't be the first time.

While I'm definitely a Mac user I'm also a PC user as well. It can be a lot of fun to build your own PC...if that's your thing. ...but there's nothing wrong with a nice Mac. Yeah, they're not all inexpensive but the cost is not an issue/consideration for everyone. However, I'd say if cost is a consideration and you're not already tied into the Apple/Mac ecosystem there's no compelling reason to get a Mac. Windows 7 is downright great.

...weird to write all that in a zombie thread that noone's paying attention to...but why not? ...its good to be back from hiatus.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It depends on your own preference.

halcyon

Splendid

I guess it does, but the two OS' work so similarly that's it seems it'd be hard to prefer one over the other. They're not like Linux where's there's a notable learning curve and you have to work to beat the OS into submission (which is rewarding to some).

frozen walt disney

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Wow lots of things said in this thread. Some I agree with some... well just are interesting.

Background: Apple Certified Tech and Support Pro / PC computer builder for 10 years

People get Apple because of the "ease" of use, and also that you can get service from an actual person. How many places can you walk into that your going to get a certified tech direct from a manufacturer, and that the warranty is honored at such a place?

That being said, I personally use PCs because I really like to mess with things in the OS, and I just love hardware period.

So it comes down to a few simple things:

1. Do you like to choose your hardware and upgrade? Apple for many years has been making their hardware more and more proprietary which has has blocked many people from upgrading their machines. They also have been famous for developing or adopting technologies early that don't always pan out.

2. Do you need support? Its true, you can walk into an Apple Store and get support for the first year of your machine, and for a relatively low cost you can even extend your service warranty and get unlimited calls to people that offer (comparatively) good service that is also honored worldwide (on everything but iDevices). Please do not be confused by the third part retailers that offer things like; "Best Buy's" black tie service. Best buy is not an authorized service center, but they do cover accidental damage by replacement. Many times they will not know the Mac operating system, and if they need to order a part, they have to send your enter system to an Apple service center and can take weeks to get your computer back. (This is from personal experiences from the USA Washington State "Best Buy" chain.)

3. Ease of use for the average consumer. To be honest, if your on "Tom's Hardware" I would consider you a bit "higher" then the average user because you ask questions from someone other then a salesmen. Apple's, for the new computer user, tend to have the best learning experience that is a bit more intuitive then a lot of other operating systems. I am not saying they are the best, but the certainly are good. This should not be a surprise considering they are capturing a lot of the market share. Keep in mind though, with these "ease" of learning, also means you don't have a lot of options that you would in other operating systems. For the most part, its a pretty closed system that doesn't let you "tweak" things.

Overall, I would say that you need to choose the computer that best suites your individual needs regardless of operating system. If you find that all your software is compatible, and you don't like to play with a computer much, you may want to decide to go with Apple.

If you are very familiar with the Windows OS, and you like the layout, and the prices. Why would you change? If you just HAVE to try an Apple system, goto a store and demo one. Apple also has a 30 days return policy on computers with no restocking charges. So you can also take it home with you and decide from there.

If you like Linux, and are familiar with its system, you already know its pretty darn awesome. For the "average joe", Mac's are probably the closest to Linux you can get that has a lot of the capabilities with less of the hassle of some systems. Lets face it Linux users... there is a LOT of versions out there, and not all are tailored to an average users capabilities, needs, and wants.

phych

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I really like my MacBook Pro and I think OS X is more enjoyable to use, in my personal opinion, than my Windows system.

That said, I agree with most people here that you'll get more mileage out of a Windows machine if you don't plan to do anything Mac specific. However, you can find versions of any software for both platforms (gaming is another topic however), and tech support and community is plentiful for both platforms.

Look....people can try to persuade you with facts and figures and dollars, but essentially what it comes down to is what you enjoy using better. You'll be happier with your choice if you don't look at how much or what's offered, but instead consider how you feel when you use it. That applies to anything you purchase.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Not too sure if anyone mentioned this yet, I skipped over the last few posts. The driver support for Apple is top notch as all their hardware is regulated in-house. This is one advantage that Apple does have, however Microsoft is closing fast in this regard requiring all 64-bit versions of windows to have certified drivers that have been tested by Microsoft (will BSOD become obsolete?). Other than that, I think its more about ease of use as far as deciding to get a Mac. Slightly more linear learning curve if you ask me. I am a gamer though, so PC is without a doubt my choice as the cost vs performance is significantly biased towards PC. :D

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What I hate about Windows is the constant updates you are always faced with.The OS Mac uses hardly has that at all.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Frequent updates is nice, they fix bugs and improve security. Infrequent updates are nice too, less bother but automatic updates that don't require user intervention or restart. Awesome.

:D

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

You are as clueless as they get. I remember you blaming updates since the first day I saw you on these forums, but you have just reminded me about your ignorance. So constant improvement is bad, according to you? Right... oh, and I'm SO BOTHERED by those automatic updates! I mean, they SNEAKILY install themselves RIGHT after I give them permission to do so and I don't hear from them ever again... my PC just keeps working... as if it didn't just install some horrible UPDATES... /sarcasm

Your pathetic "OS Mac" is behind when it comes to security, and it's gonna take a heavy toll once the malware creators target Mac OS on full scale. I consider it a righteous punishment for the clueless users like you who think that updates are a bad thing and their OS is immune to malware.

Last time I had a BSOD was because of a faulty motherboard. Didn't have one ever since. BSODs in Win7 are related only to hardware issues. Drivers are rock solid: there's an on-going problem with nVidia graphics drivers that sometimes crashes the driver because of the adaptive power consumption mode enabled. BSOD? No. 5 seconds, and the driver is automatically restored. XP used to have BSODs because of $h!t like that. No more. Win7 kicks ass.

:kaola:

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You are one DUD that is will not waste my breath with. You and Windows can take it where the sun shines.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Drivers for windows have come a long way since XP but I did have multiple blue screens when I built my new machine around a 7970, but a driver release fixed that right up.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Blame AMD :)

Unless you type using Siri (which I doubt :D), you're not wasting breath by typing. Unless it's too strenuous for you. Which it probably is, seeing how you fail to understand my arguments for... now more than a year.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What arguments your negativity towards Apple.You are like I reiterated a wise ass!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Cease this...

Thor.jpg

This battle is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.