PC crash now wont start

loolme

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hey I just got this pc last month. but in the past day or two it turns off while under load. And my pc wont turn back on, sometimes I wait for 2-3 hours than it might turn back on.

My pc
windows 7 64 bit
r9 290x asus gaming edition
16 gb of ram
1 tb HDD
I7 4770K
750 W CROSSHAIR

Things i have try
-check gpu temp under load 80 f which is normal
- take out each component and try to start pc until i was just left with the cpu
-reformat
-clean each component

please help thanks

Solution
You need at least a 600w PSU for that GPU (leaving plenty of room for the rest of the system) with a stable 12v rail. I doubt anything other than the PSU was damaged. So, change the PSU and problem solved (hopefully)

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
have you checked out your power supply? You may be having a thermal event occuring there too - blow out the dust and see if that may be the case. (you mentioned cleaning the components - but PSUs are occasionally overlooked.)

6R1M01R3

Distinguished
You need at least a 600w PSU for that GPU (leaving plenty of room for the rest of the system) with a stable 12v rail. I doubt anything other than the PSU was damaged. So, change the PSU and problem solved (hopefully)

Solution

mkosi35

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
i think more power reserve doesent hurt.... u get more even distribution of energy....
haswell needs supoorted psu coz needs lower power while sleep. but while loaded... checked compatibility list?
if its supported id measure output walues....
it even might not be psu.... maybe motherboard...?

numanator

Honorable
A good 650w power supply is enough for that build. I usually tell people to avoid the corsair cx (I am assuming you meant Corsair and not crosshair) series since they use cheap secondary capacitors that fail at high heat (when the PSU is at heavy loads).

If you are sure that the power supply is the problem then here are some good quality replacements (assuming you are in the US):

Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.99 @ NCIX US)

Good brands to look at are Seasonic, XFX, Antec (stick to the High Current Gamer series only), Corsair (AX/HX/TX series only).

loolme

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
well I plug my psu into an older pc it had the same issue. And i took the old psu and plug it into my new pc and everything turn on (gpu was not plug in) however i don't have another 750w psu so I guess I will have to wait for a replacement

But I would like to know why my psu was dmg in the first place so it does not happen again

numanator

Honorable
Not sure what caused it, might have just been a bad unit or something. The corsair cx should have a 3 year warranty if you are still in that time frame. If you want to get a new one anyways you can send the cx in for warranty replacement and sell the replacement on ebay or something.

My guess would be that the r9 290x puts too much strain on the unit and the crappy caps heated up untill they failed but no way of knowing without opening up the PSU.

Oh yeah, if you want a good quality 750w to be safe then this is a great option:

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

It comes with a 10 year warranty (have to register online for it).

Edit: The cx series are a budget line of power supplies and should have never been paired with a r9 290x in the first place.

mkosi35

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
as for other damaged components... cpu has overheat protection i think...
i think there should not be a problem, if thermal paste was added properly.
if possible get another disk, ssd if possible, i allways sepperate data...in case of disk crash...
what motherboard u have?

loolme

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
well i just wanted to double checked if it was my power supply so i did the paper clip test and as i thought it didn't work. Than i kick it and it turn on..... Replug it back into my pc and now it works. Although i have a feeling when i start playing it will crash again. so for now I will just use it for youtube untill i can get a new psu.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished

I highly doubt it is the motherboard or other component, plus it's "cheaper" to change the PSU to a better one than a motherboard. The system won't turn on properly without a good PSU, so that.

loolme

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
So... now the only way to get my pc to work after it crash is to hit the back of power supply. I'm going to buy a new one but just would like to know if EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B 80 Plus Bronze Certified is any good.
I Know someone gave me a link for another evga but they don't have it in stock at my local store.

mkosi35

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
duude i think seasonic rates best , my opinion...
buy at least 750w... evga isnt quite popular, perhaps with reason.
sometimes just isnnt worth bargin i think, and psu powers all components....
get a deecent psu is a solution....