PC crashed after launching fallout 3, now it wont even boot, CPU and GPU fans won't turn on, case and PSU are fine.

desert_eagle

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Ok so I was messing around with some fallout mods and when I launched the game it crashed (which is to be expected), but the application itself didn't crash, the whole PC did, as the monitor said 'no hdmi signal detected', after waiting a while I held the power button down to force the PC to turn off.
When I turned on the PC again the Case LED's, fans and the PSU fand turned on and where working fine, the CPU fan and GPU were not running and i got the no hdmi signal detected again. I'm stumped at what's wrong here, I don't think it's any loose wires as I haven't moved the PC in months, and it's a bit of a coincidence that everything went after I launched fallout after installing some mods.
I do remember this happening before but the problem somehow fixed itself after 2 restarts so I thought nothing of it.

Specs:
i5 4570
Msi gtx 670
Corsair CX500m psu
Msi H87-G43 motherboard
Windows 7

I've had this PC for over 2 years now with very few hardware issues

Thanks.

desert_eagle

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

Hmm maybe but the case fans/led's get there power from the motherboard so im not too sure, is there any way incan check to make sure at home?

G

Make sure all the power cables are connected, clear CMOS. Get a motherboard speaker, it will help you more than anything if you get one. It will make certain orders of beeps, they could tell you a lot about the system. $5 on Amazon, get that before switching CPUs and motherboards first.

G

Also, it could be a dead/faulty PSU. The corsair CX series are rated in tier 4 for PSUs, they are not designed for heavy load constantly. Also, the PSU is likely running at %80 during gaming because it is 500w, the minimum requirement for the 670 is 500w.