Question Pc crashed Event ID 161

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
so ever since 8/2/2020 my pc has been crashing with Event 161 volmgr error Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.. I have already tested my memory updated all software including to windows 10 2004 and even updated my bios and still getting this error. my system is not overclocked. also PSU voltages within bios look normal. crashes seem to happen most of the time in games. also when it crashes it just freezes all sounds go away, my pc lighting is still on. sometimes my monitors go black other times the image is just frozen. it will stay that way until i hit power button to shut the pc off

system specs are:

Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004

i7 8700K

Corsair H150i AIO

32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ram

Asus Maximus X Code motherboard

Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Ti

Corsair RM850 PSU

Boot device is Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M2

Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD

Samsung 860 Evo 1tb SSD

Western digital 1TB Blue storage drive

to add to this i cant even really force this error all the time its somewhat random. pc can be fine for days and then have 3 crashes back to back and then usually after 1 or 2 crashes its solid for the rest of the day or night.

the WD blue is over 3 yrs old and no i updated to 2004 to see if it would fix the issue so it was after. my WD blue is just for storage though
Try downloading and running a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to test the health of your drives.
If they check out as healthy i would would focus on your video card drivers. The screen going black or the image freezing would suggest a problem related to your graphics card. I would suggest a clean install of your NVIDIA drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) software.

gNnfiQs.png

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Try downloading and running a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to test the health of your drives.
If they check out as healthy i would would focus on your video card drivers. The screen going black or the image freezing would suggest a problem related to your graphics card. I would suggest a clean install of your NVIDIA drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) software.

gNnfiQs.png
i did that with my video card drivers already. my video card is vertical mounted so im wondering if the riser cable could be the culprit.

i did that with my video card drivers already. my video card is vertical mounted so im wondering if the riser cable could be the culprit.
It's not something i would suspect. The riser cable should either work or not work, period. My first thought is the mechanical hard drive because all the moving parts inside a drive are more likely to break down than all the other solid state parts in your system.

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

gNnfiQs.png
also according to hdsentinel all my drives are fine 97-100% healthy

im still at a loss here have no idea whats causing this and no means to take my pc anywhere for repair...
What speed is your RAM? You could try lowering the memory speed in the BIOS to see if that helps.
Are you using 2 or 4 sticks of RAM? If it's 4, you could try running with just 2 sicks of RAM to see what happens. You would probably not notice any difference between 16GB and 32GB in any case.

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
What speed is your RAM? You could try lowering the memory speed in the BIOS to see if that helps.
Are you using 2 or 4 sticks of RAM? If it's 4, you could try running with just 2 sicks of RAM to see what happens. You would probably not notice any difference between 16GB and 32GB in any case.
my ram speed is 3200 MHZ i do plan on trying to use memtest overnight tonight to see if that picks up anything, though not getting my hopes up as my pc wouldn't even boot from USB to reinstall windows. other thing to note i did have a few Bios freezes the other day

my ram speed is 3200 MHZ i do plan on trying to use memtest overnight tonight to see if that picks up anything, though not getting my hopes up as my pc wouldn't even boot from USB to reinstall windows. other thing to note i did have a few Bios freezes the other day
You say your PC wouldn't even boot from USB to reinstall Windows. Are you certain you created the USB install drive correctly and it is bootable?

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Take a look at this short video. I don't know if this is related to your problem but he found his CPU cooler was causing his PC to crash.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXbQ_kyebw
my pc doesnt straight shut down it basically does what a BSOD would do except im not getting a BSOD i get that Event 161 recently its just been auto restarting. before my lights and everything would stay on until i tapped power button. im heavily considering just replacing motherboard cpu ram and my M2 for an upgrade, im just worried that if it doesnt fix it then im out of funds to do anything else

my pc doesnt straight shut down it basically does what a BSOD would do except im not getting a BSOD i get that Event 161 recently its just been auto restarting. before my lights and everything would stay on until i tapped power button. im heavily considering just replacing motherboard cpu ram and my M2 for an upgrade, im just worried that if it doesnt fix it then im out of funds to do anything else
You should try contacting Asus Technical Support on their website since you have both Asus motherboard and graphics card. They may have some idea what is going on with your PC. I have always found them to be very helpful when i have contacted them in the past.

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
You should try contacting Asus Technical Support on their website since you have both Asus motherboard and graphics card. They may have some idea what is going on with your PC. I have always found them to be very helpful when i have contacted them in the past.
well pc finally gave me a bugcheck code.
Bug check name: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check code: 0x133
Bug check parm 1: 0x1
Bug check parm 2: 0x1E00
Bug check parm 3: 0xFFFFF8027A8FA320
Bug check parm 4: 0x0

Sep 9, 2020
well pc finally gave me a bugcheck code.
Bug check name: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check code: 0x133
Bug check parm 1: 0x1
Bug check parm 2: 0x1E00
Bug check parm 3: 0xFFFFF8027A8FA320
Bug check parm 4: 0x0
Hi Zack, were you able to find a complete solution of this issue? I'm having exactly the same thing happening with yours, and I'm at rock bottom, don't know what else to do:
  • Tried reinstall the OS
  • Tried install the Win10 LTSC
  • Reinstall the drivers for both GPU and CPU
  • Ram test returned good
  • Have not check the drives yet... will probably do it today, but I don't really think that would be the case
My spec:
Win10 LTSC 1809​
Ryzen 5 3600​
Ram 8GBx2 Kingston HyperX KHX2666C16/8G​
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro​
Asus ROG-Strix-RTX2060-A6G-Gaming with riser​
Cooler Master MWE 750 BRONZE - V2​
Boot drive on SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe 500GB​
1 TB Barracuda Seagate​
1 TB WD WD Black 2.5" WD10JPLX​
4 TB WD WD40EZRZ​

Same thing happen as yours, when the pc boot up, either it crash right away or will crash when coming to the login window, or when I'm logged in. After that, depending on its mood, will crash 1 more than and sit well the rest of the day...

Zack_10

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Hi Zack, were you able to find a complete solution of this issue? I'm having exactly the same thing happening with yours, and I'm at rock bottom, don't know what else to do:
  • Tried reinstall the OS
  • Tried install the Win10 LTSC
  • Reinstall the drivers for both GPU and CPU
  • Ram test returned good
  • Have not check the drives yet... will probably do it today, but I don't really think that would be the case
My spec:
Win10 LTSC 1809​
Ryzen 5 3600​
Ram 8GBx2 Kingston HyperX KHX2666C16/8G​
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro​
Asus ROG-Strix-RTX2060-A6G-Gaming with riser​
Cooler Master MWE 750 BRONZE - V2​
Boot drive on SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe 500GB​
1 TB Barracuda Seagate​
1 TB WD WD Black 2.5" WD10JPLX​
4 TB WD WD40EZRZ​

Same thing happen as yours, when the pc boot up, either it crash right away or will crash when coming to the login window, or when I'm logged in. After that, depending on its mood, will crash 1 more than and sit well the rest of the day...
well mines not as severe as yours i can use my pc completely normal and i get random crashes