[SOLVED] Pc crashed, recovery screen came up tried to fix it and now my 250gb ssd shows up as 500 mbs in boot. Help!

Mar 19, 2021
I was playing some games on my computer when suddenly everything stopped responding and it crashed. I waited a few minutes but it wasnt a blue screen or anything else so I pressed the power button and shut the pc down. When I started up my pc again It gave me a blue screen which reads out :
Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \WINDOWS\System 32\winload.exe
Error code 0xc000000e

I tried fixing it with the repair option and the bootrec /fıxmbr aswell but it didnt work and now I started getting the same error but with the error code 0xc000000f. Then i decided to create a clean install on my windows so I pressed install instead of 'repair your pc' but I was shocked to see that the computer showed the ssd having 500mbs total instead of 250 Gbs and its not just a partition as you can see in the screenshots below. I dont know what to do now,i tried every tutorial on youtube with no good outcome and I dont want to lose my files within the ssd drive but right now I dont even know if the ssd is still intact. Any help on how I can recover my ssd or the files within is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Using a be quiet! SU9-500 with (Asrock B450m pro4 + Ryzen 5 2600 + Rx 570) should be OK, in terms of not getting blue screens.

You should Never be getting memory blue screens. 8 GB RAM should be enough, but if it isn't the Windows will "page out" whatever was used the least recently to the pagefile on your boot drive. Again, you should never be getting memory blue screens.

You've got the RAM memory in slots 2 and 4 (A2 + B2). That's correct. Sometimes people will mess up the slots. Reseat the RAM (take out, put back in) and swap the two DIMMS/sticks. That means take the DIMM that was in B2 and put it in A2 and A2 -> B2.

Before you touch the RAM do this [[to be safe and fight static discharge]]:
  • keep PC plugged in
  • lay case...

mrpete2

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
I'm not intending to step on your toes rgd1101, but drvmln may have trouble getting a screen shot from an unbootable system. On the other hand, they certainly did say "as you can see in the screenshots below." Drvmln, can you shoot a pic with your cell phone camera and upload the img?

Drvmln, it looks like your normal "C:\ drive" partition has gotten quite screwed up.

Your files are very likely still there on the SSD, but the question is how can you get at them to copy them off.

The computer that is screwed ... what is it? Is it a pre-built (Dell/HP/etc.) or did you build it yourself? What exactly is the OS and how did it get on the SSD? Did you install it there yourself?

Do you have another PC Windows or Linux box that you can work with to burn CDs/DVDs/flash drives with bootable rescue OSs? If you only have access to the one PC it's a bit hard to see how you (alone/at your location) can recover your files from the SSD.

Of course, if someone is able to "give you the magic CMD" or some process that just makes your system bootable again, then you don't need the whole "recover your files" approach.

Mar 19, 2021
I'm not intending to step on your toes rgd1101, but drvmln may have trouble getting a screen shot from an unbootable system. On the other hand, they certainly did say "as you can see in the screenshots below." Drvmln, can you shoot a pic with your cell phone camera and upload the img?

Drvmln, it looks like your normal "C:\ drive" partition has gotten quite screwed up.

Your files are very likely still there on the SSD, but the question is how can you get at them to copy them off.

The computer that is screwed ... what is it? Is it a pre-built (Dell/HP/etc.) or did you build it yourself? What exactly is the OS and how did it get on the SSD? Did you install it there yourself?

Do you have another PC Windows or Linux box that you can work with to burn CDs/DVDs/flash drives with bootable rescue OSs? If you only have access to the one PC it's a bit hard to see how you (alone/at your location) can recover your files from the SSD.

Of course, if someone is able to "give you the magic CMD" or some process that just makes your system bootable again, then you don't need the whole "recover your files" approach.

Sorry, I forgot to include the image links in the end, here they are : https://ibb.co/1qcHMgz

The computer that is screwed up is not a prebuilt, I built it myself about a year ago. I installed windows 10 on it, and have been using it ever since, I encountered memory management blue screens but generally ignored them since I only had 8gbs and was running a few programs most of the time.

I have a 16 usb and a 4gb one. I installed windows installation media on the 16gb one and tried to fix it via repair options but it didnt work. I do have a secondary laptop but I dont have any other computers. The laptop is a vaio from 2015 and has win 10 on it aswell. also thank you very much for responding and trying to help me.

rgd1101

Don't
the 500mb is from the same disk as the 931 GB drive. is that a hdd?
first. unplug the hdd

disk 1 with 0 might be the ssd. look like it might have failed.
if you don't have anything to recover, could try delete the partition on the 0MB and recreate it

mrpete2

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
Like rgd1101 said: "the ssd. looks like it might have failed."

This a bad situation. SSDs do not normally fail as they have no moving parts. Yours looks like it is down for the count.

Even if that SDD can be brought back to life I wouldn't use it again as my boot SSD. Once burned, twice shy. It's unlikely, but it may be able to be brought back to life and maybe even your data might be somewhere in there. Not likely. We shall see.

If you're going to remake that crashed PC you need a new boot device. You could get a new (or even a quality used) SSD. Not everybody has $25-65 to blow on a hardware purchase in these crazy COVID times we live in. Alternately, you could install Windows onto the 1 TB HDD (it's not an SSD, right?).

Please let us know:
1 - Your exact desktop PC hardware (make + model #s) = mobo / RAM / HDD / SSD / video card / PSU (PSU can sometimes cause blue screens) / CD/DVD drive (if any)
2 - What slots is/are your RAM DIMM(s) in?
3 - Does your Vaio laptop have a CD/DVD burner?
4 - Do you want the boot drive for your "remade PC" to be a different SSD or your existing 1 TB HDD?
5 - Do you live in a big city or maybe someplace that has no retail computer parts available locally?

Also, you said: "I encountered memory management blue screens." This needs to be addressed. It's unlikely, but remotely possible, that a memory blue screen is the starting point for how you got into this mess.

Mar 19, 2021
Like rgd1101 said: "the ssd. looks like it might have failed."

This a bad situation. SSDs do not normally fail as they have no moving parts. Yours looks like it is down for the count.

Even if that SDD can be brought back to life I wouldn't use it again as my boot SSD. Once burned, twice shy. It's unlikely, but it may be able to be brought back to life and maybe even your data might be somewhere in there. Not likely. We shall see.

If you're going to remake that crashed PC you need a new boot device. You could get a new (or even a quality used) SSD. Not everybody has $25-65 to blow on a hardware purchase in these crazy COVID times we live in. Alternately, you could install Windows onto the 1 TB HDD (it's not an SSD, right?).

Please let us know:
1 - Your exact desktop PC hardware (make + model #s) = mobo / RAM / HDD / SSD / video card / PSU (PSU can sometimes cause blue screens) / CD/DVD drive (if any)
2 - What slots is/are your RAM DIMM(s) in?
3 - Does your Vaio laptop have a CD/DVD burner?
4 - Do you want the boot drive for your "remade PC" to be a different SSD or your existing 1 TB HDD?
5 - Do you live in a big city or maybe someplace that has no retail computer parts available locally?

Also, you said: "I encountered memory management blue screens." This needs to be addressed. It's unlikely, but remotely possible, that a memory blue screen is the starting point for how you got into this mess.

My pc specs are : An Asrock B450m pro4 motherboard, a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu, a Rx 570 gpu, 4x2Gbs of ddr4 2666mhz corsair vengance, 240 Gb sandisk ssd plus, 1Tb barracuda hard disk and be quiet system power 9 500w psu. I had a very limited budget so I built the whole system for 400£ a year ago and It doesnt have a cd/dvd drive.

I have 4 slots and the rams are in slot 2 and 4.

The laptop has a cd/dvd drive but I dont know if thats what you mean by a burner.

I would of course would like to recover my old ssd if I can but if thats not possible, I would rather go for a new ssd. Do you think crucial is an ok brand for the worst case scenerio?

I live in manchester, uk. So I dont really have any tech stores close by if any but amazon/ebay delivers most products within a week or so.

I first encountered blue screen errors when I tried to play Escape from tarkov (a pretty heavy and unoptimized game) while having tabs open in the back about 6 months ago. I encountered a blue screen every now and then (1-2 times per week) but I again mostly ignored them thinking that my computer couldnt handle so many programs/apps at once.

mrpete2

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
Using a be quiet! SU9-500 with (Asrock B450m pro4 + Ryzen 5 2600 + Rx 570) should be OK, in terms of not getting blue screens.

You should Never be getting memory blue screens. 8 GB RAM should be enough, but if it isn't the Windows will "page out" whatever was used the least recently to the pagefile on your boot drive. Again, you should never be getting memory blue screens.

You've got the RAM memory in slots 2 and 4 (A2 + B2). That's correct. Sometimes people will mess up the slots. Reseat the RAM (take out, put back in) and swap the two DIMMS/sticks. That means take the DIMM that was in B2 and put it in A2 and A2 -> B2.

Before you touch the RAM do this [[to be safe and fight static discharge]]:
  • keep PC plugged in
  • lay case on side and remove side cover
  • switch the 1/0 ("power mains switch") on your be quiet! PSU to 0 (off, but grounded)
  • press in the "power on" switch on your case for 5 seconds (PSU discharges)
  • touch the frame of your case with your finger

Now do the DIMM reseat/slot swap and the RX 570 reseat below.

And for good measure, reseat the RX 570 (take out, put back in, same place). We're just trying to ensure good electrical contact here. Occasionally, just reseating will resolve a problem.

Now flip the 1/0 switch on the PSU back to 1.

We'd like to do lengthy tests of the RAM. For DDR4 one way to do that is memtest86 from Passmark (there's other ways). Copy whatever is on your 4 GB thumb drive to your Vaio laptop. Download the memtest86 zip file to your laptop and follow the instructions to "burn" it to the thumb drive so we can test your RAM.

https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html

I'd suggest 2 passes for an initial memory test and then later 2 or more "overnight"/4 pass/?4 hour? tests. The free version of Passmark memtest86 will do 4 passes max before you have to restart it = it stops after the 4th pass. You can restart it.

Later, we will burn a "rescue OS" to that 4 GB drive ... and maybe some other stuff. So, your going to have to keep "reburning" that 4 GB drive. I'm assuming we're going to keep your 16 GB drive "occupied" with the Windows 10 install image that you currently have on it.

There are also some utilities/methods of having multiple bootable images on 1 thumb drive. I don't use those. I try to "keep it simple." You're welcome to find and use those methods.

Alternately, you could get a DVD drive for your desktop machine and burn CDs to do this booting stuff. I notice there's a used Sony DVD/CD burner on Gumtree in Manchester for 10 pounds ... or you could get for new fom Amazon / Currys / Scan / Aria / etc. for maybe 20 pounds ...

Alternately, you could buy another small thumb drive.

I'm going to assume you're not going to buy any of those and that you're going to keep "reburning" your 4 GB thumb drive each time we need new, bootable software on it.

So, perform a memory test. The initial two passes should take 2 hours / maybe less.

After that we need to try reading sectors from the Sandisk SSD. To do that we need either a Win10 install or maybe we can do that from a rescue OS image on a thumb drive/etc.

If we can't even read sectors from your Sandisk SSD then the content / programs / data / etc. that was on it is lost. There's a tiny possibility that that drive still might be able to be made usable by doing a secure erase on it, but it's unlikely. Before that we start with seeing if we can read sectors.

What is/was on the 1 TB HDD? Do/did you have files on it? The partition name on the image that posted to imgbb says "New Volume". Does that mean it's empty?

It may (or may not) be that you have effectively wiped your 1 TB HDD when you did:
  • repair option
  • bootrec /fıxmbr
  • "tried every tutorial on youtube"

You asked: "Do you think crucial is an ok brand"? Yes, their SSDs are quite good. I notice that on Amazon UK the Crucial MX500 250 GB CT250MX500SSD1 costs 41.49 pounds. There are 2 listing at that price for "that" SSD. One is for "CT250MX500SSD1(Z)" and the other is for "CT250MX500SSD1". They are both sold/shipped by Amazon itself. I don't know if there's any difference between them.

NVMe card SSDs are also an option for you. Good ones cost more and are much faster than a regular SATA AHCI SSD. The WD SN750 250 GB is available on AMZN UK for 50 pounds. That should be a high quality drive, too. Just like the MX500, only faster.

---

1 - What is/was on the 1 TB HDD? Was it empty / partially full / full?

2 - Is it OK with you to get a new boot SSD? Is that cost acceptable?

• - - - With Win10 on a fresh SSD we can start to examine + recover
  • - - - both the HDD + SSD (if possible).

3 - Do the RAM test.

Solution