Question PC crashes and refuses to turn on unless I cut the outlet power completely

DarrylSSY

Reputable
Jul 23, 2017
Hello everyone,
I have a PC that has been running fine for me until today when I had discovered that it kept crashing when I am playing games on it.
It always happens only in games, and it seems to be only when the game has some intense loading to do.
When it crashes, my computer shuts down immediately without warning, however, the motherboard light stays lit.
The power button will not work, and pressing it does not do anything. The only way for me to turn the computer back up is to turn off the PSU or turn off the power from the outlet completely until there are no more lights on the motherboard. Only then, will the power button work.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASUS Strix RTX 2060
ASUS Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHZ 2x16GB Ram
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming

I am not quite sure if it could be the PSU at fault, or perhaps some loose connectors, please help.

Feb 3, 2022
Hello everyone,
I have a PC that has been running fine for me until today when I had discovered that it kept crashing when I am playing games on it.
It always happens only in games, and it seems to be only when the game has some intense loading to do.
When it crashes, my computer shuts down immediately without warning, however, the motherboard light stays lit.
The power button will not work, and pressing it does not do anything. The only way for me to turn the computer back up is to turn off the PSU or turn off the power from the outlet completely until there are no more lights on the motherboard. Only then, will the power button work.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
ASUS Strix RTX 2060
ASUS Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHZ 2x16GB Ram
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming

I am not quite sure if it could be the PSU at fault, or perhaps some loose connectors, please help.

I am in a very similar situation and I am running an EVGA 750 BQ 80+ Bronze PSU, which is around 200-250 W above recommended spec for my system. Can you tell us the PSU you are using and if you are using Windows, use Windows search to find Event Viewer and look for Critical errors in the Administrative Events section.

Here is what my Critical error reports said:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Mar 25, 2022
Hello Everyone,

Not really helping at the moment because I have the same issue.

To start with my spec :
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM = 2x8 Go DDR4 3600 Mhz Corsair (CMW16GX4M2D3600C18)
MOBO = B450 AORUS PRO : bios version F62 (latest)
PSU = 800W, LEPA MaxBron BM800 80+ Bronze

HDD = Seagate Barracuda, 1 To (ST1000DM003-1ER162)
SDD = Kingston Now V300, 120 Go (KINGSTONSV300S37A120G)
Sandisk Ultra II, 480 Go (SanDiskSDSSDHII480G)
M2 SATA = Western Digital, 1 To (WDCWDS100T2B0B)

Windows 10 Pro ‎(X64)‎ 21H2 build 19044.1586
installed on the Kingston SSD

Problem = PC turn off suddenly not more than once a day and when the crash occurs led are still on for ram and ventirad, power button light still on also I guess it's just probably static power. However like OP I can't neither force shutdown from the power button nor turning it on again with it. The only way is to turn off the PSU power button on and off.
PC after that take way longer to start than usual.

Recent change = Upgraded my CPU, Plugged back in the 2 cases fans that were disconnect since my last motheboard change 2 years ago (yeah not my smartest move), Updated Windows to 21H2

Story Time = I had the exact same problem 2 years ago when I was playing Apex (installation was made on my M2 ssd) after the crash occured it could happen that the M2 wasn't visible after the reboot and I also recently made a major windows update a few days ago.
I checked at the time a few forums and most solution would be that it's was faulty PSU so I bought a new one.
And at the same time the M2 ssd that was almost brand new keep disconnecting so I removed it from my computer and installed Apex on my other SSD thinking of sending back the M2 under warranty.
After that I moved the installation I never had shutdown so I didn't replace the PSU as it was working FINE and never had crash after
Later on I read an article about latest windows update that was causing hardware issue and it was fixed in last update so I made the update and miracle all problems were gone I reinstalled my M2 and played many game on it without any issues until this day when also play elden ring that is installed on the M2 when doing anything else PC never crash.

What I tried =
-At first I thought it was overheating but CPU temperature doesn't exceed 80c* in game and since I plugged back in the cases fans it goes even lower so I excluded the issue that I could have badly put thermal paste on the new CPU.
-Since the problem I had in the past I wanted to update further but I'm on latest windows update however the problem is slightly different apart from the crash + PSU button (PC was rebooting faster and M2 was missing most of time where it only happenned once after a crash this time and PC reboot way slower)
-Checked if everything is plugged properly from the last time I went inside the computer I could have moved a cable by mistake but doesn't seems to be the case and all button work fine outside of this.

Possible issue that need to be investigated =
  • PSU fault ? However estimated wattage from https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xkcjpH is way under what my PSU can give and the issue only happen when I played elden ring my guess is that would.
  • M2 is defect ? No idea how to check that
  • Bios battery need to be replaced ? I was thinking of that cause the crash never happenned more than once a day

Question for @DarrylSSY and @TKOrionis
Which windows version are you on ?
Does it happens more likely from working on a specific drive or game/program ?

Mar 25, 2022
Giving a solution to myself so if someone came in with the same issue could be a good thing to double check the loose cable

I'm just dumb and last time I checked I only found one loose cable on the GPU and fixed it thinking it was the only issue PC started and crash didn't happen for a few days until the issue described below and by OP.
But 3 days ago PC wasn't starting at all so I opened the case again and find the MOBO alimentation cable was a bit loose and one RAM stick wasn't properly plugged in one plastic on the side wasn't checked in but ram still in place.

Idk how it was working for a few days but whatever I knew I was tired when I did the CPU upgrade but holy <Mod Edit> so many mistakes were done and stupid one.

Don't be like me and get some rest when you need to do an upgrade and double check your cable again !

Hello Everyone,

Not really helping at the moment because I have the same issue.

To start with my spec :
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM = 2x8 Go DDR4 3600 Mhz Corsair (CMW16GX4M2D3600C18)
MOBO = B450 AORUS PRO : bios version F62 (latest)
PSU = 800W, LEPA MaxBron BM800 80+ Bronze

HDD = Seagate Barracuda, 1 To (ST1000DM003-1ER162)
SDD = Kingston Now V300, 120 Go (KINGSTONSV300S37A120G)
Sandisk Ultra II, 480 Go (SanDiskSDSSDHII480G)
M2 SATA = Western Digital, 1 To (WDCWDS100T2B0B)

Windows 10 Pro ‎(X64)‎ 21H2 build 19044.1586
installed on the Kingston SSD

Problem = PC turn off suddenly not more than once a day and when the crash occurs led are still on for ram and ventirad, power button light still on also I guess it's just probably static power. However like OP I can't neither force shutdown from the power button nor turning it on again with it. The only way is to turn off the PSU power button on and off.
PC after that take way longer to start than usual.

Recent change = Upgraded my CPU, Plugged back in the 2 cases fans that were disconnect since my last motheboard change 2 years ago (yeah not my smartest move), Updated Windows to 21H2

Story Time = I had the exact same problem 2 years ago when I was playing Apex (installation was made on my M2 ssd) after the crash occured it could happen that the M2 wasn't visible after the reboot and I also recently made a major windows update a few days ago.
I checked at the time a few forums and most solution would be that it's was faulty PSU so I bought a new one.
And at the same time the M2 ssd that was almost brand new keep disconnecting so I removed it from my computer and installed Apex on my other SSD thinking of sending back the M2 under warranty.
After that I moved the installation I never had shutdown so I didn't replace the PSU as it was working FINE and never had crash after
Later on I read an article about latest windows update that was causing hardware issue and it was fixed in last update so I made the update and miracle all problems were gone I reinstalled my M2 and played many game on it without any issues until this day when also play elden ring that is installed on the M2 when doing anything else PC never crash.

What I tried =
-At first I thought it was overheating but CPU temperature doesn't exceed 80c* in game and since I plugged back in the cases fans it goes even lower so I excluded the issue that I could have badly put thermal paste on the new CPU.
-Since the problem I had in the past I wanted to update further but I'm on latest windows update however the problem is slightly different apart from the crash + PSU button (PC was rebooting faster and M2 was missing most of time where it only happenned once after a crash this time and PC reboot way slower)
-Checked if everything is plugged properly from the last time I went inside the computer I could have moved a cable by mistake but doesn't seems to be the case and all button work fine outside of this.

Possible issue that need to be investigated =
  • PSU fault ? However estimated wattage from https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xkcjpH is way under what my PSU can give and the issue only happen when I played elden ring my guess is that would.
  • M2 is defect ? No idea how to check that
  • Bios battery need to be replaced ? I was thinking of that cause the crash never happenned more than once a day
Question for @DarrylSSY and @TKOrionis
Which windows version are you on ?
Does it happens more likely from working on a specific drive or game/program ?

Last edited by a moderator: