[SOLVED] Pc crashes and restarts under heavy load

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2024
Recently my pc has been crashing a lot under heavy load. It just goes black and restarts itself instantly. I have no idea what the cause could be but im suspecting that it could be something related to the psu. Another thing that I noticed is that it seems to crash way faster when my LED strip inside the pc is turned on. Also when it's turned off it lights up and the heavier the load is the brighter the LED. I havent really touched the pc in any way nor have i changed anything in my BIOS. It also used to happen in the past but it just stopped after a short while so i didnt give it much attention. I also attached some photos of the LED light turned off and the list of my PC specs. It might also be worth noting that my ram is overclocked from 2400 MHz to 2666 MHz. I got a be quiet system power 9 500w 80 plus bronze PSU(I'm like 90% sure that this is the one in my pc because it looks 1:1 but I haven't really looked at it fully in my pc since its a prebuilt so i cant be sure). I checked my voltages aswell and im pretty sure they're fine but I attached a screenshot of them right at the moment of the crash just in case.

Specs:

image.png

Voltage:

image.png

The LED:
IMG_20240426_034954.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
PSU replacement would be in order.

+12V RGB LED strip isn't nowhere near enough power consumption for PSU to trip. However, when PSU is iffy, it could be enough to break the camel's back.

Be Quiet! units, for the most part, aren't that good. And without knowing how old the PSU is, it's hard to tell how far gone the PSU could be.

In any event, look towards good/great quality PSU, in 650W range. E.g Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi or Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium series.
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WrNypg,mQDkcf,Wfvqqs,6NcG3C/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

+12V RGB LED strip isn't nowhere near enough power consumption for PSU to trip. However, when PSU is iffy, it could be enough to break the camel's back.

Be Quiet! units, for the most part, aren't that good. And without knowing how old the PSU is, it's hard to tell how far gone the PSU could be.

In any event, look towards good/great quality PSU, in 650W range. E.g Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi or Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium series.

Solution
May 1, 2024

Its a prebuilt(i know these arent that good but im not very experienced and didnt want to risk breaking anything) and i bought it around 4 years ago so im pretty sure thats how old the psu could be. Could it really break this quickly?

May 1, 2024

Also is there any way I could check if the PSU is at fault here without having to put it in a different pc? I cant really do anything like that at the moment so any suggestions and tips would be really appreciated

May 1, 2024
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is?
some of the specs are on one of the screenshots above already but i'll list the rest:
-i5 10400f cpu
-msi radeon rx5600xt mech oc 6gb gddr6 gpu
-2x goodram 8gb 2400MHz CL15 iridium black ram(overclocked to 2666MHz but i reverted it to default for now to see if it changes anything
-asus prime b460 plus mobo
-silentium pc fera 3 he 1224 cpu cooler(not 100% sure about this one since i didnt get any part boxes with the prebuilt but it looks 1:1 so that should be the one)
-seagate barracuda 1tb hdd
-adata xpg gammix s11 pro 250gb m.2 ssd for os
-be quiet system power 9 500w 80 plus bronze PSU(theres a sticker with 200-240Vac written on it on the back and typing that in leads to this specific psu. it's also non modular so it seems to match with the model i listed)
-2x case cooler(no idea what model)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
With F-suffix CPU, there isn't anything other to do. Now, if your CPU would be normal i5-10400, then you could remover RX 5600XT from the system and hook monitor to MoBo. But F-suffix means that CPU doesn't have iGPU in it and you have to use dedicated GPU to see an image.

be quiet system power 9 500w 80 plus bronze PSU
Low quality PSU. And it came with 3 years of warranty. So, it is way past it's "expected lifespan".

With this, you have a choice:
1. Don't turn the PC on until you have a new PSU.
2. Keep using the PC without any heavy loads (e.g no gaming) and cross your fingers that PSU will last.
3. Keep using the PC as normal and look how far can you push your luck.

Regarding #2 and #3, it is matter of time until PSU goes "boom", releases magic smoke and can fry everything it is connected to (aka your whole PC).

For 2nd opinion about your PSU quality, look it from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find it under Tier C. While all those that i suggested (and am personally using as well), are all Tier A.

So, your call what to do.
Personally, i wouldn't power the PC on at all, until i have new, good/great quality PSU in there.

Reactions: Michjag03
May 1, 2024
With F-suffix CPU, there isn't anything other to do. Now, if your CPU would be normal i5-10400, then you could remover RX 5600XT from the system and hook monitor to MoBo. But F-suffix means that CPU doesn't have iGPU in it and you have to use dedicated GPU to see an image.

Low quality PSU. And it came with 3 years of warranty. So, it is way past it's "expected lifespan".

With this, you have a choice:
1. Don't turn the PC on until you have a new PSU.
2. Keep using the PC without any heavy loads (e.g no gaming) and cross your fingers that PSU will last.
3. Keep using the PC as normal and look how far can you push your luck.

Regarding #2 and #3, it is matter of time until PSU goes "boom", releases magic smoke and can fry everything it is connected to (aka your whole PC).

For 2nd opinion about your PSU quality, look it from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find it under Tier C. While all those that i suggested (and am personally using as well), are all Tier A.

So, your call what to do.
Personally, i wouldn't power the PC on at all, until i have new, good/great quality PSU in there.
wow, just wow. i definitely dont want everything to fry but i think ill just go with the 2nd option and get a new psu in a few days. I'll call up my uncle since he works on pcs and ask him to help me install it and clean the pc aswell while im at since its a bit dusty and i didnt replace the thermal paste and ill pray that nothing goes wrong until then. Also big thanks for helping me out, I was losing my mind here and had no clue what to do. I think i'll just get a 650w psu like you reccomended. It might also benefit me in the future since I was looking into getting a slightly better gpu sometime soon anyway and again I really appreciate the help

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

Between the 3x PCs i have, i have 2x Seasonic PRIME PSUs and one Seasonic Focus PX PSU to power them. Both PRIME PSUs (12 years of warranty) are powering our daily drivers, while i have Focus PX (10 years of warranty) powering my old AMD build. Full specs with pics in my sig.

As far as PSU wattage goes, 650W unit is good up to RTX 4070 and it's Super variant. If you plan to go with RTX 4070 Ti (or Ti Super) then better look towards 750W unit. RTX 4080 and it's Super variant need 1000W (1kW) PSU and RTX 4090 would need 1600W (1.6kW) PSU.

Reactions: Michjag03
May 1, 2024
PSU reliability can be seen from the warranty length it has been given.
In a nutshell:
up to 2 years - terrible reliability
3 years - poor reliability (e.g Corsair VS/CS)
5 years - mediocre reliability (e.g Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, Seasonic G12, Corsair CX/CXF)
7 years - good reliability (e.g Seasonic Core/Focus GM, Corsair TX/AX)
10 years - great reliability (e.g Seasonic Focus GX/PX, Corsair RMx/HX/HXi/AXi)
12 years - superb reliability (e.g Seasonic Vertex/PRIME)

Between the 3x PCs i have, i have 2x Seasonic PRIME PSUs and one Seasonic Focus PX PSU to power them. Both PRIME PSUs (12 years of warranty) are powering our daily drivers, while i have Focus PX (10 years of warranty) powering my old AMD build. Full specs with pics in my sig.

As far as PSU wattage goes, 650W unit is good up to RTX 4070 and it's Super variant. If you plan to go with RTX 4070 Ti (or Ti Super) then better look towards 750W unit. RTX 4080 and it's Super variant need 1000W (1kW) PSU and RTX 4090 would need 1600W (1.6kW) PSU.
I see. I was thinking about something like a 4060-4070 so i think 650w should be enough for me. I already picked one of the gpus from the A tier on that tier list and will buy it soon and test if the issue still occurs and again thank you for the help, i really appreciate it

Reactions: Aeacus
May 1, 2024
I bought a msi mpg a750gf 80+ gold. It was on the highest tier on that list you linked me and it seems to have fixed the problem. The LEDs arent acting up anymore and the pc didn't crash when i tested it by turning on 3 games and the LEDS at the same time (which would crash the pc before after like 15-30 minutes). I really appreciate the help and thank you very much again!

Status
Not open for further replies.