Question PC Crashes frequently No BSOD, Auto-Reboot, Big SAD

Sep 15, 2024
Hi All,

I recently upgraded my pc. I upgraded the GPU, CPU, MOBO, RAM. The existing hardware is the PSU and the various HD's and SSD's. (ill list the specific components at the bottom)
The issue seems to happen both when playing games and when using some random applications like Opera GX. The game or app freezes for 2-3 seconds, blackscreens and then shows the Asus logo as it reboots. It's important to note that it doesn't crash every time I play certain games. It seems to be almost indiscriminate. I have saved the event viewers logs from a few of the crashes and they all shame the same Error details:
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: Memory
Error Source: Machine Check Exception"

What I have tried (I read memory to mean RAM):
- Purchased new RAM
- Tried various RAM slots

System:
Windows 11
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming Wifi II AMD AM4 ATX MOBO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: RTX 4060ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2x16gb) 3600MHz
CPU cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 CPU block
Various fans
HD/SSDs: Some samsung ssds both PCi and non PCi, Various WD HD's
PSU: EVGA Super NOVA 650 P2 (approx 6-7 years old)

Im not sure what other information is relevant. I can provide the event logs if that helps further.
I may try a fresh windows install tomorrow to eliminate that aswell.

SORRY: 1 last thing that might be relevant but probably not. When the Store that upgraded/built the pc installed windows 11 it somehow had secure boot disabled and I had to manually go into my bios and change that.

Thanks in advance!!​

Last edited:
if you are using a new motherboard, a fresh OS install is required.

make sure to remove all disks except the main OS location when performing the new install.

existing hardware is the PSU...ill list the specific components at the bottom
you have not include the PSU make & model
also include it's overall age.

CPU cooler: Cooler master hyper 212
you should also keep an eye on temperatures.
this is a pretty old, less than adequate option, for cooling a modern CPU for gaming.

Sep 15, 2024
if you are using a new motherboard, a fresh OS install is required.

make sure to remove all disks except the main OS location when performing the new install.

you have not include the PSU make & model
also include it's overall age.

you should also keep an eye on temperatures.
this is a pretty old, less than adequate option, for cooling a modern CPU for gaming.
Hi John,

Thanks for the fast response.

I have updated my hardware list to include the PSU.
A fresh install of Windows 11 was done by the company that did the upgrade. I am considering another fresh install to see if this fixes the issue.

Im not sure how but when they installed windows 11 the secure bot function was turned off in BioS. So I manually turned it on. Im not sure if this could have caused any issues, but I imagine it shouldn't have.

I've been monitoring temps and before the resets I haven't seen the CPU hit any higher than 74 degrees (Celsius). Is there an application you would recommend using to stress test the CPU to see if it reproduces the crash/reboot?