Question PC crashes, keyboard/mouse unresponsive, HDD indicator stops, fans return to minimum, audio continues.

Jan 2, 2020
So there's this strange thing that's been happening for a while now and I've noticed that it happens usually in a game but today it happened while on the desktop.

The problem manifests itself like this: while playing a game, the image freezes, system locks up (image frozen AND audio still going on AND even the mirophone still works - when playing online the other person can hear me and I can hear them) and I have to reset the PC. After restart, PC boots into BIOS and the only clue I see is "M.2 Not found" (which is my boot drive). This can happen both HOURS after playing or mere minutes. It is literally impossible to replicate because it doesn't happen all the time - there can be DAYS in a row without a single crash.

If I reset, boot drive still doesn't show up. Turning off the PC, however, and turning it on, PC boots into Windows just fine. Once, while waiting to install a game (not on my boot drive), screen turned off after 10 mins (normal behaviour, how it's set in Windows) but trying to wake it up again didn't do anything, crashing in the same manner w/ the M.2 not found error.

Did the following: ran AIDA64 (all stress tests at once, then RAM stress test)/OCCT (power supply test)/Prime95 (CPU and custom RAM test)/FurMark/MemTest/ stress tests each for at least 30-40 mins but PC works just fine.
  • Did tests w/ various drive utilities but everything is OK.
  • checked drives with diskcheck
  • SSD firmware is the latest from ADATA.
  • Updated every driver that is.
  • DDU'd the NVidia and AMD drivers and reinstalled the latest as of today.
  • Reliability Monitor shows the following: "The previous system shutdown at time on ‎date was unexpected."
  • In Event Viewer there's Kernel-Power ID 41.
Today it crashed the same but without the M.2 error in BIOS: crashed, restart and boot up fine.

PC Specs:
  • MSI B450M PRO-VDH V2 mobo with latest BIOS as of 03/01/2020 (7A38v8B)
  • ADATA XPG SX6000 lite ( ASX6000LNP-128GT-C)
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • 3000Mhz CL16 Corsair Vengeance RAM oc'd to 3200.
  • GTX 1070
  • Win 10 Pro w/ original licence and up-to-date.
  • 650W Power supply.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020
I think I have fixed this problem and it’s something that I should have double checked first before posting this: I did overclock my VRAM to +500Mhz (with afterburner) and EVEN THO my system was mainly stable, I did have problems with artifacting in Portal 2 (which is not demanding at all and that made me think it was just a problem with the game, plus it only happened once).

BUT, thank god for 3D Mark (time spy benchmark) which would always crash my computer in the same manner.

Reducing my VRAM OC fixed all of this and no crashing ever since.

Reactions: henterpriser