PC crashes... kinda

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
So, as of yesterday, my pc has crashed twice... kinda. The power LED on the case stays on, but my monitor goes black, then says no input. I built this pc several months ago, and I cheaped out on the motherboard. Is this a screen problem? psu problem? motherboard problem? after the "crash", i manually reset the computer, and it boosts just fine. I don't remember the circumstances of the first crash, but the second time I was downloading a bunch of mods for fallout 3, with maybe 10 chrome tabs open and 10 or 15 tabs for various utilities open at once. specs: i5-4670k at stock, r9 290 at ~1000 mz, some msi h81 mobo, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram.

Solution
Directx and your videocard drivers are crashing

This file {55dce8ba-9dec-4013-937e-adbf9317d990}Gw64.sys is on the hdd somewhere. Have no idea what it is

Altho this stop error 0x116 means Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Some sites say install a later driver

Have a look at this

Even tho it says Nvidia it'd apply to any card that crashes with this stop error

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
I have no idea if it's bluescreening, and I'm fairly suire it is actually a monitor error, because my monitor just stops recognizing the input for my pc. As far as I can tell, the PC continues to work. At least, the power LED remains on.

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
one more noob question: dropbox won't let me upload the dump file because I need "administratior permission" however my user account is the first and only account and should have admin status on this pc. Any workaround?

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
I doubt that the gpu is overheating, because it crashed when I wasn't gaming, suggesting a low gpu usage, and it idles at 50-60C. The default threshold for AMD chips is 95C, and even then they usually throttle back. In addition, the gigabyte windforce cooler is exceptionally good.

Directx and your videocard drivers are crashing

This file {55dce8ba-9dec-4013-937e-adbf9317d990}Gw64.sys is on the hdd somewhere. Have no idea what it is

Altho this stop error 0x116 means Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Some sites say install a later driver

Have a look at this

Even tho it says Nvidia it'd apply to any card that crashes with this stop error

Solution

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
at least the past two times and maybe the past three, (can't remember) I have been running the mod installer for nexus, which is the website that hosts all the fallout 3 mods. Maybe a problem with that?

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Also, because installing a bunch of mods into a game requires starting that game very often, it could be a problem with fallout 3, which happens to be a very buggy PC port. The weird crashes could be a strange compatibility issue with this game and AMD cards.