PC crashes... kinda

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
So, as of yesterday, my pc has crashed twice... kinda. The power LED on the case stays on, but my monitor goes black, then says no input. I built this pc several months ago, and I cheaped out on the motherboard. Is this a screen problem? psu problem? motherboard problem? after the "crash", i manually reset the computer, and it boosts just fine. I don't remember the circumstances of the first crash, but the second time I was downloading a bunch of mods for fallout 3, with maybe 10 chrome tabs open and 10 or 15 tabs for various utilities open at once. specs: i5-4670k at stock, r9 290 at ~1000 mz, some msi h81 mobo, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram.

Solution
Directx and your videocard drivers are crashing

This file {55dce8ba-9dec-4013-937e-adbf9317d990}Gw64.sys is on the hdd somewhere. Have no idea what it is

Altho this stop error 0x116 means Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Some sites say install a later driver

Have a look at this

Even tho it says Nvidia it'd apply to any card that crashes with this stop error

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
I've heard that the Control center utility that is packaged with the driver may be the source of the problems. I have removed it, as it is pretty useless, and will update if I crash again. Otherwise, SUCCESS! thank you once again for all your help.

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Crashed again, didn't even create a minidump file for me (I may have restarted too fast). Does Windows 8.1 create system restore points automatically? I may try that.
EDIT: My pc claims that some files are missing, and that my installation media will provide these files. Will '"repairing" damage my personal files (game saves especially?)

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
did the repair, still crashing, this time while playing CS GO (not remotely a graphically intensive game.) I can confirm that it is an issue with the computer, not the monitor, because I happened to be using headphones when it crashed, and the sound got all messed up.

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
I am now convinced that it is a faulty chip. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, now it won't even work when I turn on my PC. Time to go have a look at the AMD, Gigabyte or Newegg RMA process.
UPDATE: the card is not recognized as being in the x16 slot. There are no other slots on the board. Is there a way to find out if it is a board error or card error?

qwazwaz

Reputable
May 27, 2014
I tried that, still had crashes. It seems that I got a card with the elpida memory (not the better hynix stuff), which has been known to have problems. The go-to solution for this problem is to underclock your memory, so I threw a 20% underclock at it, so far no crashes for 2 hours, will report back in 24 hours. mood: cautiously optimistic.