Aug 11, 2019
For backstory purposes (the backstory is really long, I know, but it will make sense), I bought the PC at a physical store near me 2 years ago, and since then had crashes on video games. As soon as I noticed the crashes (which didn't take very long), I went to the store and reported the problem. A few days later, I picked up the PC, and went home, only to realize that the problem prevailed. This time, though, I didn't do anything about it, since it only occurred on GTA V, which is a game that I don't really play anyways (it had always been on GTA V, so they didn't change anything). Plus, I thought it was a Hardware problem, so for 2 years I lived thinking that my Ram was trash.

Fast forward 2 years, 3rd gen Ryzens come out and I decide it's time for an upgrade, so I got a new Ryzen 5 3600x CPU, along with a new MOBO (B450 Tomahawk) and RAM (2x8Gb 3000Mhz Ripjaws), thinking it would stop the crash problem I had, but, as you can expect, it didn't. And yeah, you gessed it, I went to the same store. Now, to be fair, this is a store that has a really good reputation and I even had some friends who had gotten PCs there without any problems, so all of this along with the fact that I thought I had a Hardware problem (specifically with the ram), made my stupid ass go there for the upgrade.

When I'm there talking to the guy, he starts telling me how they're gonna have to format the PC, because they're changing main components and bla, bla, bla... I tell him it's fine, because video games are pretty much all I have on the computer, so I don't care. A couple days later they email me saying the PCs ready so I go, pick it up and the guy hands me a piece of paper that had all the benchmarks they had done, telling me everything was fine with it (this will be important later on). As soon as I get home, I stick the Windows installation Pen Drive in the USB port, boot it and it goes right into my desktop, with everything I had previously. Since I'm an idiot and was excited to test the PC, I didn't really think anything of it and went straight into playing videogames. I opened Battlefield V and as soon as I started loading a game, I crashed. Opened it again, played for a while this time, but it crashed. At this point, I'm thinking this is happening because they didn't format the PC, so I decide to do it myself, being 99% sure it would work just fine, but again, as you can expect, it didn't. I bring it to the store once again, and explain to the guy (it was always a different guy), that the PC still has problems, had a bluescreen a couple of times, etc. Again, when I picked it up, yesterday, the guy gives me the benchmarks and stuff, and again, tells me everything is fine. I explain to him that him telling me that meant zero to me, as on all the other times they had told me everything was fine, it wasn't, and that they didn't even do what they had told me was necessary, so I didn't trust them anymore. At this point, the guy next chair comes up to me and says in a super presumtuous manner: "You know, I worked on this PC, and it said on the papers that the client specifically asked for it not to be formatted as it contained important data". At this point I'm stunned thinking "Is this guy stupid or something?". I proceed to explain to this idiot that that wasn't what I told the first guy, when I talked to him and that he must have misunderstood what I said. At this point I take the PC home, installed Windows and all the drivers you can imagine again, used it for a while, and realized that they hadn't done anything, but format the PC again, so I was having exactly the same issues.

I crash every 3-10 minutes into a game on average. These crashes have 3 possible results: the game crashes and I go to the desktop; the game freezes and my PC restarts; or the game freezes and I get a blue screen. I once even had the computer freeze while watching a YouTube video, causing me to cut the power from the PC (it wasn't going anywhere as I waited a few minutes for it to do something). I even had a bluescreen while typing this, so this was partially typed from my smartphone.
Since the benchmarks they provide me with at the store don't mean shit, I did some of my own: i ran the CPU test on Ryzen Master, Cinebench and Geekbench with no problems. It was when I decided to run some GPU tests that I had problems: I ran Superposition Benchmark on medium 1080p at first, and had no problem, but then I decided to run it on 1080p Extreme, and a couple minutes in, I had a bluescreen.
I then found this website and read some posts about similar issues. Some people say it's the PSU, because some graphics cards require aroud 14-24A apparently, but I checked my PSU specs, and it seems to support that. At this point I'm thinking it's either the PSU or a GPU problem (maybe the GPU has a factory issue, because ever since I had it, I had crashes). I also checked minor stuff like searching for disconnected cables, and it's also not a heating problem, as I've already checked that. All my drivers were downloaded from the manufacturer's websites and are up to date.

Has anybody else had the same issues as me? This post is really long, I know, but I wanted to be as specific as possible, so you guys wouldn't waste time thinking about something and posting it only for me to be like "Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I already checked that". One more thing, could updating BIOS and switching my graphics card to an old GTX 745 that I have laying around help with anything?
Have a good day.

Full PC specs:

Ryzen 5 3600x;
MSI GTX 970;
MSI B450 Tomahawk;
2x8Gb 3000 Mhz Ripjaws Ram;
Nox Hummer 650W 80+ Bronze;
1TB HDD;
200Gb Crucial SSD.

Last edited: