Jun 7, 2024
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here, I'm at a loss as to what to do with my husband's CyberPowerPC. We bought it back in 2022 and it has been giving us issues since then (but unfortunately after the return period ended).

Issue:
  • Turns off randomly. It could go a week without turning off, it could turn off multiple times a day. It can happen while running simple programs such as Gmail or playing videogames.
  • First, CPU fans start going crazy, sounds like it's a space shuttle about to take off. Then, the monitor turns black. CPU must be turned off manually.
Fix attempts:
  • Temperatures have always been normal (not overheating).
  • CyberPower tech team claims to have changed the power supply when we sent it to the factory.
  • Updated all drivers and programs.
  • Took CPU to get deep cleaned.
  • Switched monitors but it still crashed.
Expert opinions:
  • Both CyberPower techs and local techs couldn't replicate the issue. Last time we tried to have it fixed, CPU crashed but they couldn't pinpoint what caused it.

My CyberPowerPC is about 7 years old and it's still running great, but my husband's keeps crashing. I was thinking maybe we could switch some of our components (first the GPU, and so on one by one) to see if mine started crashing, but I'm afraid I may damage my CPU somehow.

Any opinions are appreciated. We've spent so much money trying to fix this thing.

BrandCyberPower
Operating SystemWindows 11
CPU ModelRyzen 7 3700X
CPU Speed3.6 GHz
Graphics Card DescriptionDedicated 8GB RTX 3070
Graphics CoprocessorAMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
Memory Storage Capacity1 TB

Have you reinstalled Windows after wiping the drive? If not, I would save any data on the failing computer to the other working one, and reinstall. Be sure to create media and have drivers ready after initial install. Delete all partitions on the drive you're installing windows to, to be sure the drive is wiped clean.

If it still crashes after performing a fresh install after wiping the drive, then you likely have a hardware failure of some part.

Reactions: pixelbats
Jun 7, 2024
Have you reinstalled Windows after wiping the drive? If not, I would save any data on the failing computer to the other working one, and reinstall. Be sure to create media and have drivers ready after initial install. Delete all partitions on the drive you're installing windows to, to be sure the drive is wiped clean.

If it still crashes after performing a fresh install after wiping the drive, then you likely have a hardware failure of some part.
Hi! Thank you for replying. I forgot to mention this - we did completely reset the PC and reinstalled Windows. Unfortunately, that did not solve the issue, which like you said, leaves us having to guess which part it could be. I'm assuming at this point we would need to replace each part one by one?
Most people I've talked to have guessed it could be the graphics card, I suppose we could start there.

Jun 7, 2024
If you have onboard video, then yes the easiest would be to pull out the GPU and run the monitor from the MB. I suspect you have a memory issue.
Good skill on finding the culprit!
hey, i thought i should update you since you were so kind and helpful.
we switched my husband’s and my uncle’s gpu. my husband’s computer hasn’t shut off nor the fans have sounded like an airplane. my uncle hasn’t been able to replicate the shutting off issue BUT! we may have found the problem.
my uncle mentioned that he has a program that controls his fans so they don’t get overworked. apparently he got a warning that the gpu was overheating, an issue he never had with his own gpu. we’re still doing some tests but hopefully this problem gets resolved.

thank you so much again for replying to my question!

Reactions: dingo07
hey, i thought i should update you since you were so kind and helpful.
we switched my husband’s and my uncle’s gpu. my husband’s computer hasn’t shut off nor the fans have sounded like an airplane. my uncle hasn’t been able to replicate the shutting off issue BUT! we may have found the problem.
my uncle mentioned that he has a program that controls his fans so they don’t get overworked. apparently he got a warning that the gpu was overheating, an issue he never had with his own gpu. we’re still doing some tests but hopefully this problem gets resolved.

thank you so much again for replying to my question!

Could be a bad thermal paste application on GPU or thermal pads if pc was bought during pandemic some GPU vendors cut corners on thermal pads literally only using half thermal pads