[SOLVED] PC crashes *sometimes* when playing games the first 5 minutes

McFlurry

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
The problem has been here for a while now. Everytime I start my pc no problem, I can sometimes use the PC for hours without happening, while other times it crashes 5 minutes after startup, but this is rare.

However, every time I start up a game, it feels like there is a 50% chance my PC will freeze or have a BSOD. Remember, sometimes it never crashes, and sometimes it crashes again and again, but I have never crashed more than 3 times in a row.

All the BSOD errors are different, and BlueScreenView app displays different crash causes. But ntoskrnl.exe is always there.

I think it's a driver issue, but I can't find a faulty driver. I tried driver verifier, and this makes my PC go in a crash loop but I don't know how to locate the faulty driver through that, if it is the case.

Some error messages from things I tried:
Automatic repair failed by: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
BSOD stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , what failed: nvlddmkm.sys
Driver Verifier Detected Violation caused by: TeeDriverW8x64.sys

Sometimes the PC also has no problems, and I can play games without crashes at all. The crashes only occur in the first 5-15 minutes, if they don't happen then they won't happen at all until restart. But it feels truly random.

information

CPU: i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz
GPU: GTX 970
16GB RAM
64-bit system

PSU: CX750M , 750W, age 3 years, condition good and cleaned

PC is opened and cleaned maybe once every 6 months and still has problems after cleaning it. Nothing is reseated other than RAM sticks, which don't seem to be the problem.

games: It crashes on Guild Wars 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, RDR2, HOI4 and more which I can't remember. I play mostly multiplayer games, and RTS games.

Windows 10; errors seen in event viewer -
1: Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 1a1
2: DriverFrameworks-UserMode: event ID 10111 , 10110
3: A lot of DistributedCOM errors and warnings; The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. event ID 10010

All codes I could find which might be related to the problem, I haven't played games in a while so I didn't get many errors, but they just occured again when I tried to play again.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you reckon this is the cause then? I tried many thing and nothing really works so I don't know where it could be coming from.

Its highly likely the cause. The bios is what boots up your PC and the O.S and gives it instructions on how it is to interface and control the flow of data with all components connected to your motherboard. If thats not up to date it will cause some instability.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

What games do you play?

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that correspond with the crashes.

Has the pc's case been opened for cleaning and reseating of all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers?

And do not use any of those "driver" utilities.

Go directly to the applicable component/peripheral manufacturer's website to download, reinstall, and reconfigure drivers.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
The problem has been here for a while now. Everytime I start my pc no problem, I can sometimes use the PC for hours without happening, while other times it crashes 5 minutes after startup, but this is rare.

However, every time I start up a game, it feels like there is a 50% chance my PC will freeze or have a BSOD. Remember, sometimes it never crashes, and sometimes it crashes again and again, but I have never crashed more than 3 times in a row.

All the BSOD errors are different, and BlueScreenView app displays different crash causes. But ntoskrnl.exe is always there.

I think it's a driver issue, but I can't find a faulty driver. I tried driver verifier, and this makes my PC go in a crash loop but I don't know how to locate the faulty driver through that, if it is the case.

Some error messages from things I tried:
Automatic repair failed by: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
BSOD stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , what failed: nvlddmkm.sys
Driver Verifier Detected Violation caused by: TeeDriverW8x64.sys

Is your bios up to date? I would start there.

McFlurry

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

What games do you play?

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that correspond with the crashes.

Has the pc's case been opened for cleaning and reseating of all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers?

And do not use any of those "driver" utilities.

Go directly to the applicable component/peripheral manufacturer's website to download, reinstall, and reconfigure drivers.
CPU: i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz
GPU: GTX 970
16GB RAM
64-bit system

PSU: CX750M , 750W, age 3 years, condition good and cleaned

PC is opened and cleaned maybe once every 6 months and still has problems after cleaning it. Nothing is reseated other than RAM sticks, which don't seem to be the problem.

games: It crashes on Guild Wars 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, RDR2, HOI4 and more which I can't remember. I play mostly multiplayer games, and RTS games.

Windows 10; errors seen in event viewer -
1: Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 1a1
2: DriverFrameworks-UserMode: event ID 10111 , 10110
3: A lot of DistributedCOM errors and warnings; The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. event ID 10010

All codes I could find which might be related to the problem, I haven't played games in a while so I didn't get many errors, but they just occured again when I tried to play again.

McFlurry

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
😑 I guess they don't consider the bios to be important enough to keep it updated. I would contact them to see if they can give you a more recent version.
Do you reckon this is the cause then? I tried many thing and nothing really works so I don't know where it could be coming from.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Its highly likely the cause. The bios is what boots up your PC and the O.S and gives it instructions on how it is to interface and control the flow of data with all components connected to your motherboard. If thats not up to date it will cause some instability.

Solution