Question PC crashes under load but monitor stays on

Mar 17, 2020
Hi guys,

Background:
Since the last year I receive this crash, it happens when the system is under pressure (playing games). Over the past year it got from bad to unplayable. I cannot even load a game without it crashing. I've tried to run the OOCT power test and it immeaditly crashed - that's why I taught it was the power supply and I bought a new one.

The problem:
When I play a game, lets say ARK Survival Evolved, I just play the game but once I enter an inventory or something (something that requires some calculation I guess) my screen turns black but the sound keeps running, after a few seconds or so the sound freezes, like RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. something like that. After I restart the PC the PC runs very slow and I cant even load the game anymore before the same crash happens.

I tried to:
  • update my drivers
  • reinstall windows
  • new PSU
  • removed everything and put everything back in again
  • repositioned the RAM
My computer specs:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P GA-B150-HD3P
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
GPU: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
PSU: Corsair CP-9020171-EU PSU 550W ATX
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB 3200 C 16 and Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x 4GB 2133 C13
HDD: Western digital Blue - 1TB WD10EZEX
SSD: Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250

Note that I am a total newbie. I am willing to pay, if needed if you can help me solve the issue... I am available for a discord chat or teamviewer.

Edit 1: I tried to to the mybenchmark test, but my PC crashed again...

I would be really grateful.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
check cpu/gpu temp during the game?
try a better psu? corsair vs series is their lowest end unit

Hi man, thank you for your reply.

I also thought that it was the psu, I was first running a CX 450W. But I replaced that two weeks ago with the current psu.

Also checken the temperatures and they are perfectly fine.

What do you mean with "under power"? It has too low wattage?
The PSU's you are using are either underpowered or of pretty poor quality. I would not use the Corsair VS Series line of PSU's as they are their worst series. Also, why do you have mixed and matched RAM? Mixing RAM kits is a big nono. Try running with just your 16GB kit and the newest PSU you have. Let us know if it crashes only during load.

Mar 17, 2020
It is dishartening that you guys point out to the PSU because of the pricetag. I also CLEARLY stated that I changed it.

It was my videocard, I put it in my brother's computer and ran various benchmarks and his pc crashed as well.

So I decided to upgrade my video card, to nvidea and no problem at all.

Radeon has just lost a customer, never again.