Question PC Crashes when gaming, CPU Red Light, Inconsistent Posting

Dec 4, 2022
Hey all, I have a super frustrating and very strange issue that popped up that I am trying to troubleshoot on my PC currently. I built this thing almost 3 years ago and its been great, but recently I was playing a game (Need For Speed Unbound - the latest NFS game) and my pc suddenly went black on all 3 monitors and "shut down." All the RGB lights and fans were still running as normal though.

I couldn't power down by holding the power button and had to switch off the PSU. After attempting to reboot, I could not post. There was no display whatsoever, yet all RGB lights worked. EZ Debug on mobo showing red CPU light.

Attempted a few more reboots. Code was all over the place throwing init codes in loops sometimes, others it would just say 00 with the red cpu light on.

I tried swapping around the RAM sticks a bit and then after a CMOS reset, I could get into bios! Once. Then when activating the default BIOS settings and attempting to boot into windows, the issue started again and I could not post anymore. CPU red light, no dislay, no bios.

After more swapping of the RAM and another CMOS reset, I somehow managed to get into the Windows login with just one stick of RAM in the A2 port, and I actually attempted one login before the screens went black again. At this point I basically could fairly consistently boot into windows as long as I reset the CMOS after it crashed.

After more tinkering,

I unplugged my PC case's USB ports and was able to boot into windows without crashing. Interesting... strange... so then I put all my RAM back in and everything seemed to be running fine.

All seemed well until... well, I started playing games again.
 Then the issue started back up.

My current situation is that I am currently typing on the PC, all RAM is in, all 3 monitors plugged in, USB peripherals working. I can browse the web fine and watch youtube but if I boot a modern more taxing game, its not long before the system crashes. Sometimes immediately, sometimes I can play a bit. About 80% of the time it wont post after crashing and I have to clear CMOS in order to get the system to boot again. Other times it just crashes (cuts to black) and reboots.

Strangely enough with only one stick on RAM in, Im able to play some games for longer. Weird thing is, I dont think any of the individual RAM sticks being the issue because they all work fine by themselves in the single slot. It seemes to only be when all RAM is plugged in that I get the issue. Havent run memtest yet.

I don’t know where to start but it seems like it could be my motherboard, CPU, or maybe PSU might be to blame. I am going to try to swap the PSU with a friends later today. Other than that, any help or advice that anybody might have would be greatly appreciated, since I’m not sure where to start here. I dont have any spare parts and not a lot of money to go trying to spend a fortune trying to fix the issue :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

RAM: XPG DDR4 D60G RGB 32gb (8gb x 4)

Mobo: MSI MEG ACE X570

GPU: RTX 2070 Super

PSU: CORSAIR HX1000 1000 Watt 80+ Platinum

Dec 4, 2022
you might want to check your CPU if there is no damage to CPU pins (missing/bent pins)
also id try to replug your mainboard power connectors, 24pin and 4/8pin EPS power plugs...also check if theres nothing wrong with them....

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your board has a FLASH BIOS button feature, page 59 in your motherboard manual. See if that helps bring your system back up. How old is the PSU in your build? When you reset the CMOS, is the system powered down and disconnected from the wall and display?

It was the PSU. Friend came by and swapped with a known good PSU. No issue, completely stable. Luckily since the old PSU was modular and there were so many unused ports, I was even able to get it back up and running just fine after swapping where the cables were plugged in. Honestly looking back, makes sense. When it crashed it just cut all signal to the displays and would only happen when starting up or playing a game.

Appreciate yalls help