Pc crashes when gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SerCleopas

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
After having issues with (and having to RMA) a GTX 670/Extreme4 combo I did some research into that particular combo and I think there are many users with instability issues stemming from the two components. Earlier suggestions have been good, but the one I'll throw out is to update the mobo bios. Even new Extreme4's come with bios v 2.00 which doesn't support gen3 pcie bus speed. So first I would go into bios and go to advanced tab -> north bridge config which should tell you your current pcie bus speed (gen1, 2, 3 or auto). If it is running at gen1, that could be your problem. Cheers

Michael31

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

oaky it might just be the GTX and Z4 combo like the man above me said

try flashing and updating BIOS

Stickd34th

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Yeah updated it to the last version which is 2.70 also I tried playing the the pci bus speed options set it to auto and gen3 didnt work.

I do have another psu less powerfull 550 watts but its only like 3 months old.

Its getting late now though I will have to try the new psu tommorow if I dont get it fixed.

Stickd34th

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I wanna thank all of your help guys especially you michael sadly I cant give you a best answer mate I forgot this thread is a discussion instead of a question.

i figured out my crashing problem which was using evga precision tuner. would cause it to crash randomly then it started doing it all the time . stopped running it and bf3 never crashed again. im using msi afterburner now and its not crashing. if you have any programs like that make sure they are off and that you have all the correct voltages etc

edit now that i see you are usng precision tuner remove it and use afterburner. its the exact same thing

Michael31

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Its fine. Thats great that you fixed it!

Stickd34th

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I'm having the problem again but I just noticed my 12v only has 20 amps and the gtx 680 recommends atleast 38 on the 12v rail might this have been my problem all along as I can only play when underclocking heavily.

thanks in advance.