PC crashes when I put additional RAM

Jul 31, 2018
Hi,
I bought my PC about a year ago and it worked fine for about 3 or 4 months. One day i pulled out my 8GB RAM memory stick so I could put it in my friend's PC, just to test something. But when I put the stick back into my PC it started crashing, giving me blue screen with a "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" message. The PC just restarts and the same thing happens. It happens mostly when I'm using google chrome or playing video games. I was using just one 8GB stick and it works fine. I gave my friend the other 8gb stick to test it and his PC was working fine too. So I guess the stick is fine, but the problem is somewhere else. Please help :(
Thank you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Try compressed air (canned air) to blow out the slot. Check for any bent pins.

If your motherboard has 4 memory slots, move both sticks to the other pair.

Increase the voltage supplied to the memory by .05 volts and see if that helps.

Jul 31, 2018

i did try to increase the voltage by .05 volts but it didn't help, i have also tried every slot combination but nothing...
thank you for your answer tho

Jul 31, 2018

by "uninstalling and installing" you mean what? pulling the memory stick out and putting it back in?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you can go check the event logs for more information. Could be bad software. I wouldn't put it past a recent MS update to break something on your system.

But if the memory was damaged while it was being moved around, step one would be to get some different memory to test with.

Jul 31, 2018

yeah, i guess i will try with another memory stick

from the sounds of it, the ram got damaged somehow. when you transported it to friend, did you put it in a electro-protective plastic bag that parts come in? it's a good idea

I built many, many pcs in my day, and only blew up one and learned my lesson, the ram, lol, after that they got me the static pad and we grounded it and I would wear strap while assembling with all parts on the grounded mat

Jul 31, 2018

well i didn't put it anywhere except my hands, lol
the thing that confuses me is that i gave the stick to my friend and was using it for like 4 months and his pc it worked perfectly fine.

Jul 31, 2018

yeah, i got it :/
i will buy another stick tomorrow and try with that