[SOLVED] Pc crashes when I run dism/cleanup-image /restorehealth

Dec 4, 2021
My pc has been in a reboot loop for days now. I have gone through every hardware test besides replacing the motherboard or cpu. When I try and run sfc /scannow I get the error “windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation..”. I followed some forums and they suggested I run dism /cleanup-image /restorehealth but when I do it gets to about 7% and reboots. I can hardly click anything without the pc rebooting aside from the BIOS and command prompt.

please help.

Solution
Ok - no Command Prompt/Powershell then....

Are the specs still the same as in your post referenced by @Lutfij ?

My copy & paste from that post:

Parts
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B550 pro ac rev 1
GPU: Gigabyte rtx 3070
RAM: Corsair 3000 mhz
PSU: Corsair rmx rm850x
[NEW - correct?]
Storage: 1tb Samsung 970 pcie m2, 500gb Samsung ssd

CPU: what thermal paste was used and how was the thermal paste applied?

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-aorus-pro-ac_1001_e.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Any lit Status LED's (Reference Item 20, physically numbered Page 22)?

Reference Chapter 2 (Page 23) to double check all BIOS...
Dec 4, 2021
For context to the community, this is the thread/reboot OP's referring to. Out of curiosity, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? Try and recreate your bootable installer, but on a different donor system and a 16GB pen drive, to rule out a corrupt installer.
I did this, and yes I can stay in the BIOS and command prompt no issue. I was able to install windows, but it fails when the system restarts after installation. I tried repairing the pc and it fails immediately

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"When I try and run sfc /scannow I get the error “windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation..”

What do you do or how do you get to the Command Prompt?

Do not want to get too far ahead but it may prove useful if the Event Viewer logs can be accessed. That should be possible via the Command Prompt and the use of Powershell.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/po...owershell-5.1&viewFallbackFrom=powershell-7.2

If Powershell can be started without the pc restarting there are other cmdlets that might provide additional diagnostic help as well.

Dec 4, 2021
This:

"When I try and run sfc /scannow I get the error “windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation..”

What do you do or how do you get to the Command Prompt?

Do not want to get too far ahead but it may prove useful if the Event Viewer logs can be accessed. That should be possible via the Command Prompt and the use of Powershell.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/powershell/module/Microsoft.PowerShell.Management/Show-EventLog?view=powershell-5.1&viewFallbackFrom=powershell-7.2

If Powershell can be started without the pc restarting there are other cmdlets that might provide additional diagnostic help as well.
I get to the command prompt via the usb installation tool repair pc screen or pressing shift + f10 when booting from my new install of windows after it tries to load and fails. I posted a screenshot below…

I am not entirely sure what i would be doing in powershell. I cant access it in the windows installation tool, but i was able to booting from the broken windows install.

Ralston18

Titan
Not seeing the screenshot.

= = = =

As for Powershell the value there only exists if there are a couple of cmdlets that can reveal the errors captured when the reboot loops (or whatever) occur.

And, full disclosure, I am still working on that....

Key is to cull out the applicable log entries and error codes.

Will Windows let you get into either Event Viewer or Reliability History at all without crashing?

Dec 4, 2021
Not seeing the screenshot.

= = = =

As for Powershell the value there only exists if there are a couple of cmdlets that can reveal the errors captured when the reboot loops (or whatever) occur.

And, full disclosure, I am still working on that....

Key is to cull out the applicable log entries and error codes.

Will Windows let you get into either Event Viewer or Reliability History at all without crashing?
No, it crashes before I can do anything. I’m lucky to get to command prompt but there’s nothing I can do there.

Ralston18

Titan

Parts
[NEW - correct?]

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-aorus-pro-ac_1001_e.pdf

Reference Chapter 2 (Page 23) to double check all BIOS configuration settings.

From the bottom of Page 23:

"When the system is not stable as usual, select the Load Optimized Defaults item to set your system to its defaults. • The BIOS Setup menus described in this chapter are for reference only and may differ by BIOS version."

= = = =

Look for physical problems and/or damage.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel and double check that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen components, discolorations, scratches anywhere. All components snug and free of movement. Nothing bent or touching: inspect around the I/O panel.

And do try to boot with only the boot drive connected. If no difference then try again without the GPU installed.

Solution
Dec 4, 2021

Parts
[NEW - correct?]

= = = =

This motherboard?

Reference Chapter 2 (Page 23) to double check all BIOS configuration settings.

From the bottom of Page 23:

"When the system is not stable as usual, select the Load Optimized Defaults item to set your system to its defaults. • The BIOS Setup menus described in this chapter are for reference only and may differ by BIOS version."

= = = =

Look for physical problems and/or damage.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel and double check that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen components, discolorations, scratches anywhere. All components snug and free of movement. Nothing bent or touching: inspect around the I/O panel.

And do try to boot with only the boot drive connected. If no difference then try again without the GPU installed.
Correct those are the current specs minus the 500 gb ssd i removed in order to test with one harddrive.

The thermal past is artic mx-4, and i applied that in October when i installed the cpu. I applied the thermal paste in a small x in the middle of the cpu.

That is the correct motherboard and no LED error indicators light. The only reason they do is when the system boots, attempts to load windows or the installer and then reboots showing all LEDs in their respective order. But none of them remain on.

As for the BIOS, i have tried loading Load Optimized Defaults. I have also updated to the latest release of the BIOS and removed the CMOS battery for 30 minutes and replacing.

I have cleared debris, and i do not see any signs of damage. The system was operational on Thursday the 2nd before a Windows update. After this the system began to reboot.

How would i go about booting without the GPU installed? There are no integrated graphics with the Ryzen 5900x.

I also want to mention i replaced the RAM with new compatible RAM and still no resolution. I have ruled out the RAM, PSU, BIOS, Cooling, Windows Media Installer (i have redownloaded several times even different versions). I am now left to think i need to send the motherboard back and replace it. The cpu is damaged somehow. Or the graphics drivers are causing the loop, but i cannot imagine this being the issue as i have a new drive and wiped everything existing. Doing a search via command prompt for dism /image:c:\ /get-drivers shows zero 3rd party drivers installed. I am just not sure how it could be a damaged MOBO or CPU if it was operational days ago and only after a Windows up the system began to fail and reboot non stop.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021
Dec 4, 2021
I tried the suggestions in the link provided and nothing worked. Still the same scenario…

I have a very difficult time trying to install windows. The pc crashes and reboots trying to run the installation media tool, typically around the time I accept terms of agreement. If I’m lucky enough to complete a clean install before it reboots, the computer restarts as prompted when the installation finishes. At this point I resume the boot loop and if it does post an error it states “the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed…” and at this point it will continue the boot loop or throw the BSOD stating random errors or critical process failed.

At this point I am going to return the motherboard. I have tried every single suggestion provided more than a handful of times, I just want a completely fresh system. Im defeated

Last edited: