Question PC crashes when LAN cable plugged in

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I booted up my GFs gaming PC the other day to do something and file explorer (as the proccess not the explorer itself) was crashing on startup for about 10 minutes before I could do anything, I didnt think much about it until today when she went to game and it did the same thing, all windows apps took about 10 minutes to load, any game refused to load although I made it to splash screens a few times it was just blackscreen after that.

I started to try and sort it out, I re-installed windows and the issue persisted, long story short I figured if I didnt have a lan cable plugged in windows explorer wouldnt crash and the problems ceased, if I did then it did. Tethering Wi-Fi with my smartphone works and would be plenty enough to play games over however doesnt let me download chrome and other basics (probably a security thing) and I dont fancy wrestling with it any more. I reinstalled the network drivers to no avail (through the Mobo manufacturer website). My GFs 1070 was also pinned at 85 deg on desktop, so I switched it out for another GPU I had. Obviously somehow the motherboard is *** [Moderator edit to remove poorly masked profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly forum.] despite it seing very little use (asrock b450m pro4-f). Is there anything else I can try? I just really dont want to be sinking money into more PC hardware unless I absolutely have to. Am I missing something more obvious here, should I be worried about anything else causing this issue, the PSU is like 2 years old seasonic so it should be fine, just a bit odd about the GPU situation aswell, when my GPU went in there the GPU was working completely fine. The LAN cable was still an issue

Last edited:

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
So, does it crash WITH the LAN cable plugged in IF your graphics card is in there and not hers?

Yep does it with any card. I got it to a stage that it doesn't crash with the Lan cable in, after a CMOS reset + bios flash however windows says it's disconnected from the internet even though it can load up YouTube completely fine and do anything web wise. This is only an issue because any windows service refuses to then work, for example windows store or windows update which are all needed.

Ordered the absolute bog basic cheap a320 board I could find and going to throw that in in a couple of days. Just trying to think if there's anything I can try hardware wise or if I missed something software / bios wise I could change

Edit:
New development, I used realteks software to uninstall the network driver, if I uninstall the network driver windows now acknowledgs connection I get the login notification on any windows apps, but I still get "we can't sign you in right now" (despite having the notification that it has) if I re install realtek drivers it breaks again and doesnt acknowledge connection despite it being connected. Obviously I'd already tried this but since a bios flash / CMOS reset it's progress. Windows updates now work, but ms store / Xbox app is inaccessible still. Things like the windows clock don't work aswell for example.

Last edited:
Would probably have been a lot cheaper to simply buy an add in network card, but I agree that this is almost 100% certainly a motherboard problem and since onboard devices can't be repaired your options are different board, RMA board or use an add in expansion NIC card.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Would probably have been a lot cheaper to simply buy an add in network card, but I agree that this is almost 100% certainly a motherboard problem and since onboard devices can't be repaired your options are different board, RMA board or use an add in expansion NIC card.
Due to the size and shape of case (and 3 slot GPU) I couldn't get a NIC. Too bad cus it's not the mobo, just tried the new one on a fresh windows install same issue. I guess it's the CPU then, god damn so many 2600x have died on me seriously. That's why I was so sure it was the mobo up until Ryzen I thought CPUs dying within warranty (lucky me) that have never ran an OC is relatively rare. This will be my 3rd one all 3 in different systems, different PSUs, different mobos goddam. Flawed chip for sure. Just did a sanity check on the ram, I've swapped ram, mobo, SSD and GPU fresh installs every time. So it's the CPU (unless it's a 2yo seasonic focus gold PSU causing it but I doubt that) Unbelievable I've been through 3 of these now in the last 3-4 years! My personal rig on 3rd gen has been fine, never had a CPU like it. This will be the 3rd one sent back to amd! I simply can't believe it.

I've checked everything networking wise, moved cables around in my switch, tried everything I can that end. Hardware wise it's just the CPU and PSU unchecked now. And I fancy my chances at another cursed 2600x

Last edited:
Are you buying these CPUs used or something? PSU is very unlikely, probably not ANY likely to be honest, to cause this. CPU or motherboard, that's it. Those are the only two things that could cause this unless there is a problem with the cable or the router/modem that your LAN cable plugs into.