Question PC crashing as well as programs and web browser tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
I've had my PC for almost 3 years now, but in the last 2 days it has been crashing and now I can't even boot up a game or web browse

What's happening:

1. I First noticed 2 days ago I left my pc on while I left the room foran hour and when I came back it was off, after turning it on it looked like it had turned itself off somehow.
2. The next day I was playing Fortnight and the whole PC crashed mid game (solid sound coming from headset, screen mostly black with some Fortnight UI stuck).
3. Today I have been playing Counterstrike 2 and the PC bluescreened mid game (I didn't catch the error code). I restarted and loaded back up. It crashed again but only to desktop and my Discord crashed at the same time, I finished this game fine after that.
4. I restarted and went to play another CS2 game and it crashed to desktop mid game again, when loading back up I got a corrupt file message. I verified game files and tried to open again and it just crashed to desktop along with steam crashing. It is now crashing to steam 90% of the time when I try to open the game, sometimes with Steam crashing too and steam web helper going non-respondent.
5. My Google Chrome and Edge browser tabs have been crashing with "Oh, snap" and generic error codes a couple of seconds after typing something into the URL (like 50% of the time).

Event viewer is showing Critical errors that are pretty generic, stating the PC shut down was unexpected, or wasn't a clean shutdown

I'm not sure what to do, any ideas on how I can diagnose the issue?

Thanks,
Luke

EDIT: PC Bluescreened again just now and I have the "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error.

I have updated my graphics drivers, ran sfc /scannow, and ran dism restorehealth.

Any game I try to open does not work. CS2 is citing corrupt files on about half of the crashes, FN is showing "unknown file version" in an Easy Anti-Cheat window. Could this be a Drive issue?

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3 point 7 GHz 6-Core Processor
MB: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: PNY XLR8 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
SSD: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I have no overclocks and RAM is running at standard 3200 speed

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullets

Lutfij

Titan
Anything on the ram running beyond DDR4-2133MHz is an overclock.

MB: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Might want to try and source a donor PSU(from a friend or neighbor) for your build and see if the issue persists, when using a higher wattage unit.

What GPU did you have prior to this, while on your TXM PSU?

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Anything on the ram running beyond DDR4-2133MHz is an overclock.

MB: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Might want to try and source a donor PSU(from a friend or neighbor) for your build and see if the issue persists, when using a higher wattage unit.

What GPU did you have prior to this, while on your TXM
Thanks for your reply!

Yupp you're right on the RAM, my bad there!

Will check BIOS soon, currently running a Windows memtest. (This is saying "Hardware problems were detected, contact computer manufacturer" though at the moment which might indicate something...)

EDIT: Memtest finished and threw up "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer" in event viewer. Also a pop-up is appearing saying the computer has a memory problem.

BIOS version is the following: E7C94AMS.150
BIOS Build Date: 01/13/2021

I'll see if I can get a PSU at some point, not sure if I'll be able to though. I didn't have another GPU before this, build has stayed the same throughout and I bought the card on release.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023
I've had my PC for almost 3 years now, but in the last 2 days it has been crashing and now I can't even boot up a game or web browse

What's happening:

1. I First noticed 2 days ago I left my pc on while I left the room foran hour and when I came back it was off, after turning it on it looked like it had turned itself off somehow.
2. The next day I was playing Fortnight and the whole PC crashed mid game (solid sound coming from headset, screen mostly black with some Fortnight UI stuck).
3. Today I have been playing Counterstrike 2 and the PC bluescreened mid game (I didn't catch the error code). I restarted and loaded back up. It crashed again but only to desktop and my Discord crashed at the same time, I finished this game fine after that.
4. I restarted and went to play another CS2 game and it crashed to desktop mid game again, when loading back up I got a corrupt file message. I verified game files and tried to open again and it just crashed to desktop along with steam crashing. It is now crashing to steam 90% of the time when I try to open the game, sometimes with Steam crashing too and steam web helper going non-respondent.
5. My Google Chrome and Edge browser tabs have been crashing with "Oh, snap" and generic error codes a couple of seconds after typing something into the URL (like 50% of the time).

Event viewer is showing Critical errors that are pretty generic, stating the PC shut down was unexpected, or wasn't a clean shutdown

I'm not sure what to do, any ideas on how I can diagnose the issue?

Thanks,
Luke

EDIT: PC Bluescreened again just now and I have the "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error.

I have updated my graphics drivers, ran sfc /scannow, and ran dism restorehealth.

Any game I try to open does not work. CS2 is citing corrupt files on about half of the crashes, FN is showing "unknown file version" in an Easy Anti-Cheat window. Could this be a Drive issue?

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3 point 7 GHz 6-Core Processor
MB: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: PNY XLR8 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
SSD: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

It could be an NVME issue, if your storing games on it. I heard NVME's have a shorter lifespan than SSD/HDD's. It sounds like a software issue for sure. I'm just a novice here, not a tech wizard, but I know some stuff. I've built my own PC's and have some trouble shooting skills.

I only store my OS and apps on my NVME, as from what I read its recommended that you use SSD/HDD's for your games. So if you are storing your games on your NVME, it might be corrupted. If that's the case its an easy fix, just buy a new NVME and reinstall your OS, and keep your games on your SSD.

I know its not what you want to hear, but I hope it helps nonetheless fren.

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Update: Haven't had much time today, but I ran Memtest86 and it passed fully with no errors, so unlikely to be a RAM issue?
I used Crystalmarkinfo and SSD looks like its still in good health at 93% so I don't know if that would be the issue either?
What would be the next step (bar testing new hardware)? The PC runs fine mostly now, and the games load up and run, but I'm sure in a prolonged session the issues would come back as it has happened two days in a row prior.

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Update: Did a clean install of windows and wiped my PC. Played a game of CS2 fine, the next game I played my PC full crashed with no bluescreen.

Does this mean its likely a hardware issue?

EDIT: I ran Furmark GPU stress test which ran fine, but after running Prime95 stress test 3 of the 6 workers failed within 3 minutes into the test stating : Hardware Failure detected on the 960k FFT Size.

I ran Prime95 again a few hours later and my PC bluescreened almost immediately with another "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" Error code.

Looking at HWiNFO64 my CPU temps all look stable when the tests are running.

Memtest68 ran 4 passes which brought up 0 errors for RAM. Does this mean likely my CPU is failing?

I've also noticed while using my PC today for normal web browsing etc. that my Discord has been crashing/restarting while on calls with people.

Last edited:

Loonyluke5

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
So final update on this (I hope). I managed to get another set of RAM, which I swapped out with my current RAM and haven't had a crash yet. The new RAM is only 2400mhz vs the 3200mhz that I was using before, but I'm pretty sure the RAM was the dodgy part considering its working perfectly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts