PC Crashing, PLEASE HELP!

Nov 14, 2018
My I built my PC a few months ago, and the GPU randomly died on me, I sent it back to MSI and in 3 weeks time, they sent me a "new" one. After installing it, I've been having a very strange crashing issue ever 10-15 mins or if I'm lucky every hour or so. It only occurs when starting up a video game, or ending one. (sometimes, if i close the games application, it'll occur, or simply after I die, it's really strange) The crash consists of, the screen freezing with these white checkered boxes appearing all over the display and the audio of whatever I was doing at the time (game audio, videos, music etc.) and sometimes a blue screen, sometimes not. It normally would stay in that frozen state anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes and then shut down, sometimes restarting sometimes not. When I try and run a memory diagnostics test and have the computer restart, it just shuts down and doesn't turn back on. I'm not sure if this is a Ram, GPU, CPU or PSU issue. I don't overclock or anything like that (i just don't see the need to), I have tried turning up the fans, and turning down the temperature and voltage of the GPU with MSI Afterburner but that doesn't seem to be helping much at all.

Intel core i7-8700k
Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
MSI GTX 1080 8GB
16GB Vengence LPX DDR4
MSI z370a Pro Motherboard
750w EVGA G3

Anonimo_llopi

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Try updating your vbios, my RX 580 that I bought 2nd hand was randomly crashing my computer while on load and doing this fixed it http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2288384/upgrade-gpu-bios.html

Though I can't assure anything, the behavior your computer has in regards to how it's crashing is different, in my case when it crashed the whole screen (all the pixels) turned a random color (blue, gray, orange) and I had to reset it with the small reset button on case or by holding the power button, after crashing fans speeds randomly went from idle to 100% for a few seconds when the windows login screen appeared, I remember that I also tried to under clock it and it didn't stop the crashes because the solution was literally to update the vbios.