Pc crashing randomly

ThreeDog12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2016
Hi, my brother built a gaming PC and has had issues with it. It randomly shuts down. No blue screen. Just powers off, I have reinstalled windows, monitored load, temps, ran benchmarks, mem tests, took out drives. I have no idea what the issue is. His os is currently inactivated but he had issues on activated copies as well. I have no idea how to fix it. He is running a ryzen 3 1200, 120gb ssd (boot drive), 8gb ddr4, and a gtx 1050ti. The crashes never happen at a specific heat/load. Temps are always low ~ 60°c. And it is always while gaming. Im out of ideas, please help.

Solution
make sure the bios is up to date, make sure the windows update patches are applied. specifically, the CPU specific microcode updates. then update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website. remove any overclocking software for the CPU and GPU. check any secondary power connections from the PSU to the GPU. you might even have to underclock the GPU until you figure out the problem.
basically, a GPU that pulls too much power from the PCI/e video slot will be detected by the motherboard logic. if too much current is pulled the motherboard logic will just reset the CPU and your system will just start booting again.

sometimes people also load extra copies of overclock drivers, each one takes a turn at overclocking...
make sure the bios is up to date, make sure the windows update patches are applied. specifically, the CPU specific microcode updates. then update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website. remove any overclocking software for the CPU and GPU. check any secondary power connections from the PSU to the GPU. you might even have to underclock the GPU until you figure out the problem.
basically, a GPU that pulls too much power from the PCI/e video slot will be detected by the motherboard logic. if too much current is pulled the motherboard logic will just reset the CPU and your system will just start booting again.

sometimes people also load extra copies of overclock drivers, each one takes a turn at overclocking and the final result causes too much power to be used and the motherboard protection circuits kick in and reset the cpu.

if you get a bugcheck, the memory dump can be useful to detect the problem. normally it would just reboot when the system goes into 3d graphic mode in a game or a graphics accelerated browser.
sometimes you can turn off the browser 3d graphics acceleration and see if the system stays up while browsing. turn it on and see if the system reboots.

(replace the 6 pin cable to your graphics card (if there is one))

also take a look at this if using displayport connection :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3788495/warning-nvidia-driver-411-bsod-displayport.html
(firmware update required for certain gpu driver updates)

Solution