[SOLVED] PC Crashing

Nov 4, 2019
My pc monitor will turn off and my pc will restart randomly or it will bluescreen or it will freeze and when i restart it i go to my radeon control panel and it says Default Radeon Wattman Settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure this happens even when its on factory default settings and not overclocked at all my pc isnt over heating it doesnt go above 60 its not my power supply i updated my drivers to the most recent i believe i dont get these crashes when im playing games like league of legends or rust or apex legends but when i play other games then those such as borderlands trine warthunder warframe i get these issues could it be something having to do with true fullscreen? thats one thing i can think of i dont want to play in windowed mode if there is a fix or borderless because league of legends/rust/apex legends arent true fullscreen games even when set to the option the other games i listed which i have issues on however are true fullscreen my graphics card is radeon R9 200 My monitor is an LG Ultra HD i dont use it at 4k i set it to 1920x1080 as i lag on 4k not sure if that could be one of the reasons i crash as im not running on native resolution i also have a ton of ram 32g so that isnt the issue either my cpu is a i5-6400 my specs are way more then the reccomended to run these games im crashing on im running windows 10 and its up to date

Solution
I don't consider myself an expert on computers to any degree, but the first thing I would do is replace your GPU. The R9 200 is so old that I can't find it doing a google search. Its as if it never existed, which should tell you something. Its a dinosaur GPU, its extinct, and you should buy a newer one, a MUCH newer one. I would start there before trying anything else. I'm surprised you can play any of these modern games at all with that GPU, especially Rust. Trying to play any recently released game that is graphically demanding to any degree with a GPU that old is just asking for trouble.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I don't consider myself an expert on computers to any degree, but the first thing I would do is replace your GPU. The R9 200 is so old that I can't find it doing a google search. Its as if it never existed, which should tell you something. Its a dinosaur GPU, its extinct, and you should buy a newer one, a MUCH newer one. I would start there before trying anything else. I'm surprised you can play any of these modern games at all with that GPU, especially Rust. Trying to play any recently released game that is graphically demanding to any degree with a GPU that old is just asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Nov 4, 2019
i get very good fps and i dont lag on any of those games its 2gigs of vram i consider 60+ fps good i cant really afford a new GPU and i know what the issue is but i was just wondering if there was a fix other then playing in window mode or borderless as true fullscreen offers the best viewing experience and performance

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
i get very good fps and i dont lag on any of those games its 2gigs of vram i consider 60+ fps good i cant really afford a new GPU and i know what the issue is but i was just wondering if there was a fix other then playing in window mode or borderless as true fullscreen offers the best viewing experience and performance

Well, what kind of anti virus software are you using? A PC will crash for a hundred different reasons. I recently found out that the anti virus software was the likely reason my PC kept hard rebooting every time I booted up a game for instance. It could also be the operating system itself and you may have to do a clean install. Suffice it to say, I'd still wager a bet that your GPU is the main culprit, especially if you are getting blue screens. I don't consider 2 gigs of vram nearly enough for any modern game anyway, especially any GPU intensive game.

When is the last time you cleaned your PC for dust? If you have, then what about the thermal paste? If you haven't checked it in a while, I'd replace it. I recently replaced it on both my CPU and GPU with Arctic MX-4 paste. You can get it off Amazon. Even though you aren't getting high temperatures, I would still replace it. You might find that the paste it came with is almost completely deteriorated.