ooral

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Guys,

My PC cut out on me after a bit of loud fan noise yesterday. Now totally dead, not a squeak when i try to power it up......

My best geuss is the PSU, as I get absolutely nothing when i press the button, checked thew fuse........

Any advice suggestions welcome!

Solution
What are the complete system specs? Was there any smoke or burning smell? You're right, it's probably the PSU, but a little more info would be helpful in trying to diagnose the problem. The loud fan noise before dying worries me. I hope the PSU didn't send voltage spikes out and fry other hardware. Could you tell what fan was running faster than normal? Do you see any burn marks on the motherboard?
What are the complete system specs? Was there any smoke or burning smell? You're right, it's probably the PSU, but a little more info would be helpful in trying to diagnose the problem. The loud fan noise before dying worries me. I hope the PSU didn't send voltage spikes out and fry other hardware. Could you tell what fan was running faster than normal? Do you see any burn marks on the motherboard?

Solution

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Just as shortstuff said..... It most likely was the PSU lettin go. Get a new one or just one from another computer to test with. If your lucky, the PSU didn't spike other components. I've had PSU's go and not damage anything. And other times take out various parts. You won't know till you power it up again.

ooral

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Asus P5 q6700
Gtx 280
8Gb Corsair XMS
150Gb Raptor
320Gb WD
Vista 64 SP1
Pioneer DVD/RW
Antec P182
Silverstone 850W Modular

No burning smell, and couldn't see any marks on the board. It died before i could get the case of to see where the extra noise was coming from!

Got a PSU I can try when i get home..... I hope it's the PSU, that's enough of a pain to change!

ooral

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

Been there myself over the years, one of my mates has had me build him a few PC's, every time he buys the cheapes PSU he can find. Twice they have blown and taken the MB. I'm hoping that as mine was a reasonable brand it will be better equipped to protect everything else.......