Question PC died after sounding long beeps ?

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
My PC just died on me. Before it did, I crashed once following two long beeps, but came back afterwards. It did this 2-3 times, a couple of hours apart. But now it wont boot at all anymore - when I turn it on, it sounds three long beeps, followed by a pause that's a little longer than the ones between the beeps, then 3 beeps again, etc. Mainboard is Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

I saw here that I might be the memory, so I took out all the sticks, (using 4x GeIL evo Leggera 8GB PC3-14900 CL10-10-10-32) tried pretty much all combinations of only putting two sticks in or even a single stick, but it always sounds the 3 long beeps no matter which sticks are in or out.

I also, as was suggested in that other thread, unplugged the PSU and removed the battery keeping it out for about 5 min - to no avail, still sounds the beep.

Any idea what it could be? I guess it could be that all 4 sticks of RAM are fried, but that seems unlikely to me...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model and it's wattage. Since it's the older Gigabyte board's, mention the PCB rev number. We can move forward with suggestions.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model and it's wattage. Since it's the older Gigabyte board's, mention the PCB rev number. We can move forward with suggestions.
Sorry about that! I can't run speccy or anything and I don't remember what config I built this with, but I will do my best:

CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1090T (I think, not 100% sure, but it's definitely an AMD Phenom six core and I'm 99% sure it's 3.2Ghz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
RAM: 4x 8GB GeIL Evo Leggera PC3-14900 CL-10-10-10-32 DDR3
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD (250 GB), Western HDD (1TB) Sorry, can't see any further details on it.
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
PSU: Be quiet Pure Power 530W, in use since 2010
Chassis: Xigmatek Asgard II (ATX)
I have no idea what PCB rev, but I bought the board in 2010.

Config history: The chassis, mainboard, processor, PSU and HDD have been in use since 2010. The SSD and RAM were added/replaced in 2013/2014. The GPU was changed ca. 2018-ish?

Here's what (amateurish) trouble-shooting I have already attempted:

1. Since according to google three long beeps followed by a pause, rinse and repeat seem to indicate a memory error, I have removed all 4 sticks of ram and tried booting the PC using one a single stick. I have used every single stick in every single slot, i.e. used the first stick in the first slot, tried to boot: 3 beeps. Tried the same stick in the second slot, etc. then tried all 4 slots with the second stick, etc. It makes absolutely no difference, so my conclusion is that either all 4 memory sticks got fried at exactly the same time - or memory isn't the issue here.
  2. I have disconnected both the SSD, HDD and GPU (not at the same time) - this did not impact the issue in any way, so I assume those parts are also not the culprits.
  3. My hunch is that it's either the mainboard or, now that you mentioned it, the power supply.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
@Lutfij Actually... I think I need to retract this whole thing. Turns out I was just too weak. Didn't push the RAM sticks in hard enough - now it boots normally. Still doesn't explain why it crashed in the first place, though, but I have a feeling it may have been heat. I also noticed that my CPU cooler fan seems to point the wrong direction. It is supposed to blow the air THROUGH the CPU cooler and towards the chassis fan, right?