PC dies for no reason

davidpersi

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
So about a week ago, lol, ok that wasn't intended, anyway,
A week ago, PC started acting up. The display would randomly turn black and no response from the computer at all. So, I thought it was a GPU problem. I was going to replace the GPU soon so I left it. After a few days, PC wouldn't boot at all. I removed the GPU and try to run it with integrated GPU. Nope. Still won't boot. Thought Motherboard problem. Cuz no POST beep. Removed the ram and the "No RAM' beep starts beeping. So at this point, the motherboard is doing the post checks so it can't be a motherboard problem. And as far as I know, the motherboard won't beep at all if it was a CPU problem. So, from what I know, it is either faulty RAM or Power Supply.
I don't have spare components so which is the most likely component that failed. Honestly, I am not an expert and I might be wrong about something.
Right Now, when I turn on the computer, the CPU fan and the case fans run. The LEDs run. The DVD drive blinks. The hard disks spin. So might not be power supply problem either. But no other response. No POST screen. Nothing.
Sorry. Forgot the specs.
Specs:
Asus H61-MA/USB-3.0
Intel Core i5-3470
Nvidia GT 9500(I know)
Generic Power Supply(From the Case)
Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333 Ram(Not sure about the model, Can search for it if needed)

Solution

With my use, would going from 4 GB to 8 GB Ram be THAT different?
[/quotemsg]

4 GB is frighteningly light these days. Chrome eats RAM like Pac-Man eats ghosts and I know mine can hit 2 GB without even eating a power pellet.

I really need to freshen up these references; I'm showing my age.

davidpersi

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015

It was applied about 1-1.5 years ago. I don't see why it should. There's a free service center near my house where they identify PC problems. Basically, they replace the parts with other parts they have and see what's not working for free. I'm just gonna give it in. Say the computer is fixed. I might upgrade a part. Which one should I?
RAM to 8 Gb or go for an SSD?
All I do with this PC is Youtube, Powerpoints, projects so I feel like I should go for ssd?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'm not thinking of any upgrades until that power supply is upgraded. Otherwise, it's a bit like worrying about the paint color of a wall while there are termites in the wall.

Then a 2x4 RAM kit would be nice (mixing and matching RAM is a gamble).

davidpersi

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I'm not thinking of any upgrades until that power supply is upgraded. Otherwise, it's a bit like worrying about the paint color of a wall while there are termites in the wall.

Then a 2x4 RAM kit would be nice (mixing and matching RAM is a gamble).[/quotemsg]

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

[/quotemsg]

4 GB is frighteningly light these days. Chrome eats RAM like Pac-Man eats ghosts and I know mine can hit 2 GB without even eating a power pellet.

I really need to freshen up these references; I'm showing my age.

Solution