[SOLVED] Pc disconnects from Ethernet when putting a big load on the internet

Jun 13, 2020
I just switched from a power line adapter to straight Ethernet and my speeds quadrupled ... when it doesn’t disconnect itself. I’ll have my pc idle and it will stay connected until I try to download something or run a speed test. It reconnects a few seconds after the download or Speed test times out. I’ve tried another pc and Xbox one, both got great speeds and no problems. I have an intel l211 gigabit network connection on my motherboard with all the drivers up to date. I also have a fiber connection.

Solution
Sounds like a marginal cable. Replace the cable with a higher quality one (not necessarily a higher spec) and it should fix the problem. The other solution would be to get a cheap nic by realtek or a usb nic and it should also work since the xbox and other pc aren't having issues.

Lutfij

Titan
How long is the distance between your Ethernet port on the desktop and the Ethernet port on your Router(assuming it's a router). Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and then uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers for your Intel based NIC.

Make and model of your motherboard? Version of Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10)?

Jun 13, 2020
I have a gigabyte aorus ultra gaming Rev 1.0, cheesy yes, latest version of windows 10. Bios version f50 . The intel gigabit Ethernet was on an older driver before and still didn’t work. My guess is a problem with the Ethernet port or software on my pc/router. The lan port Led on the router also goes out when it disconnects.

Last edited:
Sounds like a marginal cable. Replace the cable with a higher quality one (not necessarily a higher spec) and it should fix the problem. The other solution would be to get a cheap nic by realtek or a usb nic and it should also work since the xbox and other pc aren't having issues.

Solution