Question Pc does boot, no beeps, no lights, nothing

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Took my pc apart for cleaning. Once it was back together it was dead. It would boot, it wouldn't post, it would only turn aux power on and the bios light would come on. Now the bios light wont even come on. Only certain fan headers work. The 24pin connector to the board is extremely stiff and you have to really work it to get it on and I wonder if I broke the motherboard cause everything points that way. I have went through the sticky and checked all of the items on the list. Pc specs below.

I7 6800k
16gb ddr4 patriot ram 2400mhz
Msi x99a raider
Wd black ssd 500gb
Zotac 1080ti mini
Sf600 corsair psu
Aio cpu cooler

I have tried ram in and out. In all slots. I have tried with and without gpu. I have tried with nothing installed but cpu and hsf. I have tried a new psu and gpu from working computers. I did get it to randomly post twice but after loading default values and restarting it wouldn't post. I'm thinking to board is dead.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
This goes into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. There are some stresses involved on electronics when you put stuff in and out and over time that can have an effect. I'm curious why you had to take your PC apart to clean it. twice a year I take a vacuum cleaner and use it in vacuum mode and then when done I put it on "blow" mode and blow out whatever is left. I try to leave stuff alone once it is in and working, but I don't let dirt build up.

It's not looking good for your mobo, but you might try a CMOS RESET. Maybe it will stabilize performance.

Greg N

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
You should try booting with as few things on as possible (one stick of ram, no GPU if you have intergrated graphics etc..). Then maybe change your bios battery. If you 'd have broken your mobo you would have noticed it. As a last resort you should try booting with all components out of the tower as your mobo for example could touch somewhere that could create a short circuit.

Reactions: gn842a