[SOLVED] PC does not start up from sleep mode, have to power cycle to get it to start

Jan 31, 2022
About a week ago there was a power surge and since it happened I have not been able to restart my PC properly. When I put it into sleep mode or restart it it does not wake up. Initially I thought it was an issue with my CPU Cooler because every time I would restart it the NZXT Cam software would lose connection to the cooler and it would blast it's fans at full speed. In order to fix that I had to uninstall the software completely to get my cooler to stop blowing the fans at full power every time I restarted. Having the CPU Cooler running without the software makes it work fine but every time I would restart it would lose connection to the software and I would have to uninstall it completely and reinstall it to get it to work at all. At this point I have just stopped trying to get NZXT Cam to work until I figure out what's causing the connection losses.

Now the only way I am able to get my PC to start at all is if I flip the power switch on the back of the power supply and kill all power to it. Then I have to hold my start button and listen for the power to leave the system and only after I completely cycle the power does my PC restart. If I shut it down regularly it does not restart at all. My graphics card will flash red lights and my PC will try to turn on but it doesn't. Some of the lights on the motherboard still work but the RGB doesn't when it's shut down. Usually I have to kill the power and try to get it to start several times before it turns on at all. I also had a couple of times where the start button would flash over and over.

The keyboard I had plugged in at the time also stopped working completely after the power surge. I plugged in my old keyboard and it works fine but the old one doesn't turn on at all. It was an EVGA Z20 keyboard and it died completely.

Things I have tried so far: I tried unplugging all the USB devices from the PC and starting it and there was no change. I bought a new surge protector thinking that might have been an issue but nothing changed.

I am not sure where to go from here. Once I power off my PC completely it works fine but I can't put it into sleep mode at all. If I hold down my power button and shut it down that way it does start up fine after, but if I shut it down or put it into sleep mode with the start menu it does not wake back up. Gaming on the PC and everything works completely fine and I haven't noticed any performance issues and my overclocks seem to be fine.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this I've never had an issue like this before. Any help would be appreciated,. thank you.

PC Specs:
i9-10850K
NZXT Kraken Z63 CPU Cooler
Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LXP 32GB (2 x 16GB) Memory
EVGA RTX 3070 TI
Gigabyte P GM 750W Power Supply
Windows 10

Solution
My previous Asus motherboard also had similar problem with Win10, but when I replaced the board with a Gigabyte motherboard it suddenly works fine.

But it's about the 775 socket motherboard, I can't speak for the LGA-1200.
My previous Asus motherboard also had similar problem with Win10, but when I replaced the board with a Gigabyte motherboard it suddenly works fine.

But it's about the 775 socket motherboard, I can't speak for the LGA-1200.

Solution
Jan 31, 2022
Just a follow up in case anybody runs into a similar issue. I troubleshooted everything I could think of and ended up just replacing my motherboard and power supply and the issue was fixed. My NZXT cooler is working perfectly fine. I ended up swapping to a MSI MPG Z490 motherboard and it's working well for now.

Reactions: lvt