PC Doesnt boot after upgrade

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
Hello everybody,

My PC doesn't start anymore after upgrading from my old HP motherboard (From my old HP 500-306nd) to a new asus z97. When I click the power button the lights will turn on for 0.5s and then immediately turn off again. To my knowledge everything is plugged in correctly. Has anybody encountered this before and knows how to solve it?

if you just changed the mohterboard out you're going to have some issues.

1 the PSU has a 24 + 4 pin you will need a 24 + 8 pin
2 havent used an hp in a while but the OEM PSU might not be pinned the same as a standard ATX PSU
3 your copy of windows on that HDD will not boot up that motherboard, you will probably see a bluescreen once it get to the windows load screen
4 you CD key for windows is tied to the HP motherboard and cant be used to reinstall to the new motherboard, you will have to buy a new key.

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
My upgraded specs are;
Intel I7 4790S
Asrock fatal1ty z97 (Hp motherboard before)
Corsair Vengeance pro 2400mhz red(brand-less HP memory before)
Psu: Corsair CX600M
MSI GTX 970

24 & 8 pin are both connected to the motherboard. When I start the computer the cpu fan will spin for 1mm and the lights will pop on and immediately off

EDIT; i upgraded my psu a long time ago, because HP only put 180 watt inside

I would pull the board out and make sure there are no random standoffs still in place. Sounds like its grounding its self somewhere.

You can actually place the motherboard on a cardboard box and build your computer outside the case to test to see if everything is working.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

The only thing I see that scares me is that CX PSU. A noted poor quality PSU. Search for PSU tier list here on Tom's.

Otherwise, start pulling unnecessary peripherals to see if anything changes. Of course double check that RAM are in correct slots and well seated.

stenterstal

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
I got the problem now, there is a fault in the chassis fan connector. I think i've fried it sometime before when I tried installing my new case with fan hub. My fans are now running full speed, but the hub is plugged in with cpu_fan. Is there any way to fix the full speed issue? Also i didnt have to buy another windows license strange enough and it's still working