PC Doesn't Boot Anymore

cldyjacky

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
So recently my ram went bad and it started causing problems. So I decided to open up my PC to try to figure out is it one stick that is bad or both. Now I when I hit the power button the fans run for like 10 seconds than turns off, it repeats this a few times than powers off. Now I think I narrowed it down to a few key things that might have caused this. I might have damaged the ram while handling it. I damaged something because I shook the PC to get the dust out. Or I unplugged something. Also I did flipped the PC and patted it to try to get dust to fall out.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Unfortunately there is no simple way to determine this without more knowledge of the system.

With the symptoms you are specifying, I would first try to reset the BIOS with either the pin or pulling the CMOS battery, waiting 10-15 seconds before reinstalling, then trying to power on the PC again.

It very well could be the RAM, or it could be the power supply or GPU based on the behavior you've specified.

After pulling the CMOS battery or resetting the BIOS you could also try verifying all components are plugged in properly and also unplugging any unnecessary devices and cards you have installed and trying to boot with the basics to get the computer running again, then reinstalling components one at a time in an attempt to isolate the problem.

Another inexpensive test you could run is to buy a known-good stick of memory that your motherboard supports and attempt to boot.

If these options don't work you may want to try a power supply tester to see if all pins on the power supply cable are working properly, most testers are $10-$20: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=power+supply+tester

Jerahya

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
You should start by taking everything apart carefully, clean the dust off slowly with a soft brush or blower then put everyth ing in carefully. Make sure to take a picture of all connections if you're unsure of things before taking it apart. And while you assemble it also make sure that the motherboard ain't touching the case or anything conductive. See to it that the fan is not falling off and everything else is properly seated.

cldyjacky

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Well now I tried resetting the BIOS by doing the CMOS thing or whatever it's call and this happened. The PC now stays on but nothing showed up on the monitor. If I power off the PC and turn it back on it goes back to the old state of staying on only for a few seconds than restarting.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Can you please list your system specifications including the make & model if the PC is off-the-shelf (i.e. an HP or Acer or Lenovo, model of machine, etc.)

Do you get any beeps while the computer is booting?

Do you use an aftermarket video card or do you use on board video?

cldyjacky

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
The PC is an ASUS off the shelf with a PNY GTX 750 added on to it. (ASUS M51BC-US009O)similar to that one without the 270. It doesn't beep because I don't think it has a speaker.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
If the PC was bought off-the-shelf, you should start by removing the aftermarket video card and attempt to boot again without it.

The PC speaker that announces the POST beeps is generally a small, cylindrical motherboard component and will announce errors even with no external speakers plugged in.

cldyjacky

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
I actually tried putting in the old graphics card and it had the same issue. And there are no beeps because I'm pretty sure there isn't a speaker, if the speaker is usually in the bottom right.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Do not worry about the speaker.

Does the system boot without the video card installed? Is there an onboard video connector that you can use to test the base system without the aftermarket card?