Question PC doesn't boot up on Dual Channel RAM

Jul 5, 2019
I have bought Gigabyte 8GB RGB DDR4 3200MHz RAM. When I plugged them into A2 and B2 stick my pc didnt boot up. But now they are plugged into B1 and B2 and running. Why they are not recognized at A2 and B2 ? as they are dual channel stick I want to install my ram that way. plz help.

Note:: My motherboard (Asus Prime b365-ma) supports maximum 2666mhz ram.

Install them in the A2 and B2 slots. Make sure they are installed correctly and firmly seated. with the locks at both ends engaged.

Then do a hard reset of your BIOS as follows.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card in order to get to the CMOS battery.

Jul 5, 2019
Install them in the A2 and B2 slots. Make sure they are installed correctly and firmly seated. with the locks at both ends engaged.

Then do a hard reset of your BIOS as follows.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card in order to get to the CMOS battery.

I did, as you said but no luck. No post screen.

Are you SURE you are installing them in the A2 and B2 slots? There is nothing different about this board than any other dual channel consumer motherboard. Memory population is the SAME on them ALL. As seen here:

9hl6ja.jpg

Ok, so that's not normal, but lets try something else.

Was this system running with a DIFFERENT pair of sticks, installed in the correct slots, before you got these sticks, or is this the first attempt to get this system running?

Does the system POST when you install only ONE stick in the A2 slot, which is the slot closest to the edge of the motherboard? If yes, then try the other stick there as well. If both sticks allow the system to POST try them both individually in the B2 slot. If it works with only one stick installed, regardless of which stick it is, in that slot too, then try both sticks in the A1 and B1 slots at the same time.

This could be an issue of a CPU cooler that is too tight, or is too tight on one side or in one corner, unevenly, which can cock the CPU in the socket and cause it to either short a pin or break contact with a pin, and that's enough to cause trouble with the memory slots. I've seen this MANY times. Are you running the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler?

The fact that it will run with memory in the B1 and B2 slots doesn't change the fact that the cooler could be an issue with dual channel operation and sticks in the same channel DIMM slots, so I'd look at that.

You could also have bent pins on the motherboard socket. If this is the first time this system has been put together and is the initial attempt to get it running, I'd take it back apart and check very closely for that.

Jul 5, 2019
Was this system running with a DIFFERENT pair of sticks, installed in the correct slots, before you got these sticks, or is this the first attempt to get this system running?
As the mobo, cpu and rams are new so its a fresh build and first attempt.

Does the system POST when you install only ONE stick in the A2 slot, which is the slot closest to the edge of the motherboard?
Yes I did, RGB light of ram is working but no POST screen on monitor.

If yes, then try the other stick there as well. If both sticks allow the system to POST try them both individually in the B2 slot. If it works with only one stick installed, regardless of which stick it is, in that slot too, then try both sticks in the A1 and B1 slots at the same time.
Done all the combinations, no result. Only recognized when one stick in B1 and both stick on B1 B2.

This could be an issue of a CPU cooler that is too tight, or is too tight on one side or in one corner, unevenly, which can cock the CPU in the socket and cause it to either short a pin or break contact with a pin, and that's enough to cause trouble with the memory slots. I've seen this MANY times. Are you running the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler?
Stock cooler of intel came with cpu.

You could also have bent pins on the motherboard socket. If this is the first time this system has been put together and is the initial attempt to get it running, I'd take it back apart and check very closely for that.
just now i've looked at the pins. here i'm enclosing the picture of my mobo cpu pins. plz have a look.

wvoFcnw.jpg

NXNLlyS.jpg

My assume is, may be the A channel of mobo is dead or somehow not working. If so then it is weird that the RGB lights are working on those sticks too.

Check this area. It's the only spot that I see that MIGHT be of concern, but it's really hard to tell by pictures. Much easier in person to see if there are any pins, or especially just one pin, that is affected and looks different than all the rest.

2uo2ww2.jpg

Otherwise, I'd say you got a bad board and should return it, assuming you bought all these parts new. If possible I'd try to run those sticks in another machine, in the correct slots, to see if they will work in dual channel on another board in order to rule out the memory as the cause. There are no dual channel motherboards where only B1 or B1/B2 should be working.

Jul 5, 2019
I've brought my pc to service point for troubleshooting, even after fixing the bent pins the situation is same, so they have sent the motherboard to higher authority (may be asus) to find out the issue.

So there WERE some bent pins then? I thought there might be, but it's so hard to tell from low resolution images. If there were bent pins, all bets are off. Could be anything from just a faulty board to also having damaged the CPU. Processors are pretty resilient though and it's tough to kill them without almost trying to, so there's hope. Probably it's just the board, but don't be surprised if there IS something else as well such as damage to graphics card, memory, storage devices or something. Probably not, because usually it's just the board, but it does happen that something else gets taken out along with the board when a PSU goes bad or there are bent pins on your motherboard or CPU.