Question PC doesnt boot with 2 sticks of ram

May 10, 2023
I dont know whats wrong, I built a new pc and whenever I boot up with 2 ram sticks I get error code 0xc0000221. With 1 stick it works fine and I dont see the problem.
Asus Rog Strix B650-A Gaming WiFi
Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB 2x16 5600
AMD Ryzen 7700
Corsair RM750x Shift
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC 12G

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Go online to find the applicable User Guide/Manual for the motherboard. Pay careful attention to make, model, and version.

Be certain that you are at the manufacturer's website. Just because ther manufacturer's name is in the URL that does not always mean that you are really at the manufacturer's website. If warnings appear then leave the website immediately.

The User Guide/Manual will provide some listing of supported RAM and RAM configurations.

There will most likely be some instruction to visit the motherboard's manufacturer's website to obtain more up to date information via the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also - review the entire User Guide/Manual to double check all connections and configurations.

Some motherboards, for example, require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specifc slot.

Error codes may or may not be helpful: error code 0xc0000221 being very generic.

Do an online search for the error code and read more about it. However, do avoid downloading any apps, utilities, or such stuff claiming to "fix" the problem. Many of those products are likely to show up no matter what error code is in question.

May 10, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Go online to find the applicable User Guide/Manual for the motherboard. Pay careful attention to make, model, and version.

Be certain that you are at the manufacturer's website. Just because ther manufacturer's name is in the URL that does not always mean that you are really at the manufacturer's website. If warnings appear then leave the website immediately.

The User Guide/Manual will provide some listing of supported RAM and RAM configurations.

There will most likely be some instruction to visit the motherboard's manufacturer's website to obtain more up to date information via the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also - review the entire User Guide/Manual to double check all connections and configurations.

Some motherboards, for example, require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specifc slot.

Error codes may or may not be helpful: error code 0xc0000221 being very generic.

Do an online search for the error code and read more about it. However, do avoid downloading any apps, utilities, or such stuff claiming to "fix" the problem. Many of those products are likely to show up no matter what error code is in question.
Sorry, here are my specs
Asus Rog Strix B650-A Gaming WiFi
Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB 2x16 5600
AMD Ryzen 7700
Corsair RM750x Shift
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC 12G

Yea, I read the user manual and it says to place the ram sticks in slots a2 and b2, which are the 2nd and 4th slot right? And I put the ram sticks in those slots. I also found out that 1 stick works and the other doesnt and I also tried switching them from slot but it didnt work.

sorry I wasnt really being specific in my post. I can also return them and ask for new ones but I am still not sure what exactly the problem is. Thanks for your reply.

Ralston18

Titan
". I also found out that 1 stick works and the other doesnt".

So one stick by itself = 16 GB RAM and the other stick (when installed by itself) = 0 GB RAM?

And both sticks together result in 16 GB RAM and not the expected 32 GB RAM - correct?

Were the RAM sticks purchased as a kit for dual channel use?

May 10, 2023
". I also found out that 1 stick works and the other doesnt".

So one stick by itself = 16 GB RAM and the other stick (when installed by itself) = 0 GB RAM?

And both sticks together result in 16 GB RAM and not the expected 32 GB RAM - correct?

Were the RAM sticks purchased as a kit for dual channel use?
Sorry for not being very clear. I meant that when starting up i get a blue error screen when I use that one stick. But when I enter the bios it does show the 2 sticks both 16gb.

Ralston18

Titan
Again, if the RAM sticks are not from a packaged kit for dual channel use then that could be an issue.

If one stick individually works and if the other stick does not work (BSOD) when placed in the same RAM slot then the second stick is likely defective in some manner.

Even if both RAM sticks are visible to BIOS.

Note:

At the next sucessful boot use the following Powershell cmdlets to see what can be learned about the RAM stick that does work.

https://www.action1.com/how-to-check-ram-type-with-powershell-on-windows-action1-rmm/

Try:

"Get-WmiObject Win32_PhysicalMemory | Format-List *
"

If only one RAM stick will boot then you may not be able to learn anything more about the other stick via the "Get".

However, if you can somehow achieve a boot with both RAM sticks installed then the Get results should provide a comparison of the two sticks and their respective specifications.