Question PC doesn't post, not even bios.

markv123

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Dear all,

I've got a problem with my PC. First of all the specs are as follows:

AMD fx8350 (arctic freezer a11)
ASUS crosshair v formula
HD Radeon 7950 Boost edition 3gb
Corsair cx750
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (2x8gb crucial)

I've had no earlier problems with this build and all of a sudden I could not get my pc to post. When I turn it on it shows all of the lights on the mobo, the fans start and everything seems in order, only problem I don't get a sign on my screen.
I already tried the most obvious things like different monitor, cables, input and even another wall outlet which had nothing else plugged into it.

The MOBO however does give a RED light on the DRAM-LED. So I started to work in the system itself and have done the following:

1 Clear CMOS by removing battery for over 5 minutes
2 Remove fans, so the only thing that was connected were the vital components
3 CHange order of RAM slots (they were in slot 2 and 4). I also tried only 1 RAM-stick in every freaking slot. Lastly I tried it without RAM and I still got no beep from the system.
4 completely disassembled the system and I am now testing everything from a stand alone MOBO which is located on it's original box. The reason for this is because I read something about a possible short circuit of the mobo through the screws which connnects it to the case.
5 Removed my GPU and installed an old Nvidia 7300se, but still no signal.
6 Changed the power supply
7 tried booting it from the MEMOK which on my MOBO is the Go-button. This just causes the RED light to blink in the beginning and after 30 seconds it glows solid red again.

In my amateur opinion this only leaves the CPU and MOBO as potential cause of failure. noticable is that the CPU-LED does not light up, nor do any other lights on the mobo, except for the ones that should be green and are green when I start the system.

Do you guys have any idea what I can do about this? for instance how I can check if my MOBO and CPU still work?

My thanks in advance!

Mark

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So to clarify, this is an older build that has worked previously that has now suddenly stopped posting, you are encountering a DRAM LED and you have tried:
  • Replacing PSU
  • Swapping out all RAM sticks
  • Breadboarding system

Correct my if I am mistaken above?

Have you entirely breadboarded the system? - So keeping MB out of the case and booting with just MB, CPU, Cooler, 1 stick of RAM, and PSU?
DId you try the other RAM stick in each slot too?
Have you checked CPU socket for bent pins?

markv123

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
@pc taylor,
Correct! I have done everything you just summed up. Only I also use my GPU on it, because I have no integrated GPU on the fx8350.
furthermore I did not check for any bend pins on the cpu socket, since I did not disassemble that.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@pc taylor,
Correct! I have done everything you just summed up. Only I also use my GPU on it, because I have no integrated GPU on the fx8350.
furthermore I did not check for any bend pins on the cpu socket, since I did not disassemble that.
Well then try breadboarding the system fully, obviously you'll also need to insert your GPU.
See if you can get into BIOS first.
Have you reset BIOS to defaults also to get back to stock settings?

markv123

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Well then try breadboarding the system fully, obviously you'll also need to insert your GPU.
See if you can get into BIOS first.
Have you reset BIOS to defaults also to get back to stock settings?
I think you did not understand, I am using the GPU already. I just replied to your post in which you did not mention GPU. Hence I wrote that I DO use my GPU.
The problem is that I can't get any type of screen, so I can't get into the Bios.
And my thanks for the quick response :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Understood my friend, apologies!

Even though it is a build that has worked previously, I would still cover each and every one of the steps in this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Pay special attention to CPU / Socket also.

If there is no look here, considering the steps you have already taken, it is a case of identifying the faulty hardware. Which if you have tested RAM and PSU, is likely to be CPU or MB, usually MB failure is more common.

markv123

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016

Even though it is a build that has worked previously, I would still cover each and every one of the steps in this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

If there is no look here, considering the steps you have already taken, it is a case of identifying the faulty hardware. Which if you have tested RAM and PSU, is likely to be CPU or MB, usually MB failure is more common.

Thanks!
I found that I have no system speaker....
Given that the beeps could give quite some information, I'll order one of those.
I do think that it's my MOBO. is there anyway to check if it's still working(with the hardware I currently have)?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks!
I found that I have no system speaker....
Given that the beeps could give quite some information, I'll order one of those.
I do think that it's my MOBO. is there anyway to check if it's still working(with the hardware I currently have)?
Not really with a motherboard, a speaker can help, but the only true way to know is to replace the component and retest.

There are some motherboard testers, but they're not exactly reliable or always accurate.

markv123

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
so... I am still stuck at the same point. I thought it over all day and tried the last 2 possible things I could think of, namely;

• booting without any RAM
  • booting without a GPU
  • Checking cpu-socket for any bend points.

The CPU-socket seems fine, I did not touch it for the last 3 years so it would be weird if it was.
When booting without RAM and/or without GPU the same DRAM-LED light keeps glowing red.

Every moment I keep leaning more to the MOBO as a cause. Do I need to find another MOBO to test the rest of my system on?

My thanks in advance!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately without RAM will always result in an error.

I would sooner lean to MB also being as you have from what you have described, already swapped out RAM, and PSU.

You might be able to return it under warranty., but yes another board is required to properly test.