Question PC doesn't wake up properly from sleep or shutdown. Requires hard restart

LockHazer

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
Problem has changed sorry

Hi all,
I just bought a used i5 6500 for my system and it was giving me a couple of headaches setting it up. I've fixed the majority of them but now have one major problem. So I plug a hdmi cable into my motherboard hdmi for audio from the igpu into my receiver(amp for speakers) and so have the igpu turned on in Bios. With the igpu turned on and a display port cabled plugged into my gpu to my monitor, when I try to wake my pc from sleep the pc spins up and everything but there is either, no signal on my monitor from the gpu, a plain pink screen (my windows colour is pink) or my lockscreen background with nothing on it. I am unable to interact with the pc at any of these stages and so have to do a hard restart from where the pc works fine. When I turn off the igpu in BIOS however, the problem goes away completely. Ideally I still want to use the motherboard hdmi for audio as I do not have enough hdmi ports on the GPU.

My previous cpu, pentium G4560, worked perfectly fine and did not have any issues ever.
Specs:
I5 6500
Gtx 10603gb
8gb ddr4 2400mhz
120gb ssd
1tb hdd

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

LockHazer

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
Is there a reason for using both integrated and dedicated GPU?
What happens if you connect both your cables to your dedicated GPU?
Well if I plug the hdmi into my gpu, when I turn on my receiver my monitor flashes off for a couple of seconds and then back on. Also, I have a vr headset that requires a hdmi port and my gpu only has 1

Edit: The problem now occurs without the receiver plugged in so it does not seem to a cause anymore. When igpu is turned off in the BIOS however, the problem goes away

Last edited:

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Shutdown uses a hibernation feature which can be shut off with this command "powercfg -h off" from a command prompt when run as administrator. This will fix your problem with shut down but not sleep though they both stem from a driver issue likely caused by video card driver. This is common with Nvidia cards. You can disable sleep in the power portion of the control panel there by getting around the sleep issue.

How shut down uses hibernation is it stores the basic windows system & drivers in the hibernation file which allows the computer to boot very quickly but not all drivers support being preloaded & this is particularly true of video drivers that aren't from Intel & some hardware based audio cards. There may be others that I'm not aware of but this is a known issue with Nvidia cards.

Last edited: