[SOLVED] Pc dont boot, p8z77-v question

GodlikeC

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

Today my PC no longer boots after many years without problem.
Nothing happens when I press the power button : no light or anything (neither inside or outside the PC case, on any component).

I tried plugging power out for hour, removing GPU / RAM, clear CMOS but no change.

Only indication I have is the biggest green LED on the MOBO p8z77-v (SB_PWR) which is blinking when the pc is plugged to power.

I would like to know if this LED blinking indicates something and if someone can tell me if it's supposed to remain solid green on normal behaviour (that I dont remember).

Thanks for hour help.

Solution
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

SB_PWR
That's Standby Power

this LED blinking indicates something and if someone can tell me if it's supposed to remain solid green on normal behaviour (that I dont remember)
It's supposed to remain solid.

If you have a discrete GPU in your build, remove that from the build entirely and see if that allows you to power up the system. if so, then your PSU might be the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

SB_PWR
That's Standby Power

this LED blinking indicates something and if someone can tell me if it's supposed to remain solid green on normal behaviour (that I dont remember)
It's supposed to remain solid.

If you have a discrete GPU in your build, remove that from the build entirely and see if that allows you to power up the system. if so, then your PSU might be the issue.

Solution

GodlikeC

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for hour help, that's what I suspected.

CPU : i7-3770k
MOBO : p8z77-v
GPU : GTX 1050 ti
RAM : x2 DDR3 4go
PSU: corsair ax760 (Platinum)
SSD 256 Go + HDD 1 To

The PSU is 8 years old (PC use about 8 h per day), though it never shows any sign of failure.

Can anyone confirm a replacement 500w PSU (or less) is enough for this config. Current one is a 750w which seems overkill.

Lutfij

Titan
In all honesty, if you can stay within the curve that 80+ gold/platinum/titanium graphs show, you end up with an efficient build, in the long run.

What sort of units are you looking at? Wattage isn't the only thing you should be looking at when shopping for a PSU. Wattage wise, 550W would be ample, if you're sticking to the above listed hardware and you're looking into a similarly branded, reliably built unit like the Corsair AX.